Fainting Goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DayBird, Oct 2, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Anyone have them? They're a meat breed. Are they better or worse than the Boers? How do they compare as far as feed conversion and weight gain?

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Doesn't anyone have something to say? Good? Bad? Nothing?

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I don't know anthing about them, but I would love to see some of them. I think it would be weird to see a goat faint. Gee, with my rotty and my 3 year old they would be passed out more than they would be awake around here. :haha:

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

They are the Mytonic goats. I personally have not raised that breed, however, I have friends who have. They are crossed with other meat breeds because of their bulk or stockines they add to create a more "prime choice" grade in a meat goat. The reason they faint is because its a startle effect or reflex, from being scared. Their muscles stiffen up and they fall over, then they get back up in a few minutes and bounce off again. You may want to check out some of the meat goat websites who raise them to get further information on weight gain and conversion.

Milking mom is right, with a lot of comotion they sure would be out more than up. :)

Bernice

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My friend had a herd of about thirty and they didn't look any meatier to me than your typical Spanish goat. I have also seen them here there and yon in smaller numbers. Boers are meatier. The fainting thing is simply a parlor trick to many fainting goat owners. Some people abuse these goats reflex action. It is not a good reflex to have either if predators are around. I would not want one in particular, but that is just me. Remember, I like those peculiar looking LaManchas! And Boers. And....

6. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

I have a couple of fainters & I love them. Working on getting more- just trying to save up the ca-ching for a herd for sale. They have quiet, laid-back personalities. They are easy kidders, and are easy to keep fenced. Mine show no interest in getting out, unlike my squirrely little pygmies! They come in various sizes- the majority of them being small like pygmies, although the majority of the breed is raised by people who like them for the exotic fainting quality. There are Tennessee Meat Goats, which is a strain of mytonic goats which are raised specifically for meat. They are MUCH larger, much more muscular & much more expensive. My buck has Tennessee Meat Goat blood in him (Grandfather) & it shows. He has very nice muscling. And he drops on a dime. Fainters also have various types of coats. Most have short hair, some have longer.

Supposedly, the fainting gene makes them a good candidate for a meat goat, as it gives their muscles a work out every time they faint. However, not every fainter actually faints. There are different degrees. There is lotsa info on http://www.faintinggoat.com about the breed. If you are interested in a Tennessee Meat Goat, then check out Onion Creek Ranch's website (don't know it off hand). Lotsa info on that site as well.

Comparisons with Boer goats... well, I'm fairly new to Boers. Just got my first 2 this summer. This would be my thought: Boers are the bigger, better meat goat. They also are going to eat more, need more pasture/housing requirements. It costs more to deworm them. If you have ideal housing & pasture management then those costs would minimize. A lot of factors come into play. Like I said, I am new to the whole Boer breed, but I like them as much as my Fainters. Do what I did- get a couple of each :D

Liz

7. Cheri

Cheri Member

I don't have any input, but have a funny story...

A friend of mine and I were @ a Nubian show. We were in the ring showing junior doe kids. As my friend was trying to lead her little kid around the ring (the kids first show) she kept dropping to her side and laying there stiff as could be. My friend ended up having to put her hands under her belly and carry her. As we were shaking the judges had and leaving the ring I told him that my friend was really wrong trying to pass off that fainting goat as a Nubian...the judge and the rest of us in the ring got a good laugh!

8. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

We raise Fainting goats! Not for the so called "parlor trick" but because they make wonderful pets. Ours are not the big meat type,but the medium size.Some have short hair,some long.All different coloring.Some with blue eyes,some brown,some gold!!All of mine have horns and no they don't hit the ground from every little thing.Its true,some are more myotonic than others,but they are a great goat to raise for family pets or family food!