faded trim

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by agmantoo, Dec 17, 2006.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

On a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, the gray vinyl trim on the lower portion of the body and both bumpers show evidence of fading. What product will restore the appearance?

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

You might want to go to a marine supply store and look at the products that boaters use. The marine environment is pretty hard on materials and finishes.

3. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Armourall preform miracles on some of my dull surfaces esp tires, dash boards and vinyl tops when cars used to have them.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I don't no but Mothers back to black, isn't worth a squat. Save your dime there.
    Tire Wet last about the same (but shinier) and at least you can use it on the tires to.
    If you do find a product id be happy to no about it.
    Stupid plastic/rubber parts! :grump:

5. agmantoo

I have visited a detail shop and their solution is only temporary. At one of the car sites the best solution was to paint the trim. About $15 bucks worth of bumper paint was stated to last many months or longer. The paint did scratch but again was easily corrected according to the off roaders.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

You no, now that you mentioned it my grandmother wreck her truck last year and one of the junk yard rubber trim pieces had been spray painted by the body shop. I only noticed do to some over spray on the surrounding parts. :rolleyes: At first i was none to happy about it but figured id just replace it later myself. Well its been a year by now and it still looks great.
    Due to the texture that's on most of the plastic it seems the paint would stick pretty good. Might want clean it real good with alcohol to make sure there's no oil or wax on it.

Don't no if they used auto paint or a spray can. But id guess a spray can as i wouldn't want to load and then clean a spray gun for one piece of trim.

I'm still scared to try it. But it would look better than whitish residue where wax got on mine while buffing. But then again if nothing can take the wax off it.What could possibly take paint off. :hobbyhors

7. danoon

danoon Well-Known Member

There is a new car wax out called "Ice". Its made for paint and trim. I'm not impressed with it as a wax. It looks like water and goes on like amourall so its hard to see and it doesn't polish like a good paste wax but I like it on the trim and plastic under the front and the dash. You'll probably have to put three coats on to start getting it to soak in and stay but its worked on my 95 Dakota really well.
    The down side to testing it is that its about $15 a bottle.

8. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

I have a '98 Wrangler, and my trim faded to grey...took black rustolium spray paint and painted it all...been 2 years, and still looks great. Nothing else really worked, in my opinion.

9. agmantoo

Country, did you use a flat or gloss paint?

10. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

I used a satin finish...just bought it at Lowes, i think...