Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant say its probably really faded just hard to read well enough to get the whole thing. We moistened it with... well spit as it was all we had at the moment and most of the letters showed up.
Is there some sort of magic way of making one easier to read?
Is there a set amount of letters or numbers on each ear?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amazing how something so simple never comes to mind. I will try that in just a little bit. Curiosity just to know has me.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
If she is a dairy goat and was owned by a registered breeder, it's likely she has two tattoos - one in each ear. Usually you will have between 1 and 4 letters or numbers in the right ear that signifies the herd from which she came. Then in the left ear there will be a letter followed by a number that signifies the year in which she was born and perhaps the order in which she was born on that farm. For example, My kids last year had SKYS in the right ear, which is my registered herd tattoo with ADGA & AGS. Then in the left ear they had Y for 2008 and 1, 2, or 3 depending on their order of birth. The next kid crop would begin with Y4, etc. 2009 kids will have "Z" in their left ear instead of "Y", etc. Not everyone does it this way, but that's the most typical.

You might also check both sides of the tail web for tattoos.

And still other goats are microchipped.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that once I get better in it, I will be more apt to microchip, at least they dont fade.
This is the buck I got form chris, Im looking at other does but have no idea about his lines since we are still waiting on ABGA to send them back to Chris. Im looking into a couple of does from Georgia boer goats to get in the spring.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Otherwise, the breeders herd prefix will be placed in the Right Ear and the year letter and breeder assigned number in the Left Ear. (For example the first 3 kids born in 1998 to breeder with herd prefix of XYZ should be tattooed as follows: Right ear XYZ Left ear KI: Right ear XYZ Left ear K2: Right ear XYZ Left ear K3.)"

I copied this from the ABGA because Im not exactly clear on how this works and cant find any other information so far.
Does the prefix just contain three letters? the left ear where they use K1, K2 etc does that have any direct meaning ask K is for Kid or is that an example.

I ask this because hopefully I will be registering some little **** kids this spring and I have to figure out how to properly tattoo them and what I want my prefix to be

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
When you get **** Registered in your name you will join the ABGA and they will give you a herd pre-fix based on your herd name.Those letters go in the right ear for **** is should be CCRFG .In his left ear should be V20 v being the year he was born 2006 and the 20 is his order in the herd.I know his blood lines and I am just waiting on the paperwork for this year.
sire: CCRFG SCHRODER- sired by "EGGS KNIGHT" son
dam: is a MINCEY doe -out of Downen and Powell?Holman lines
If you use rubbing alcohol to clean the ear and then try the flashlight it should work. He was a show animal and so all tattoos when I got him were visable have not looked at them since.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Chris, didnt want to bother you anymore yesterday but it was something we kinda just got interested in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts