Factory Installed Hitch too small

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jena, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy a vehicle to tow my meat trailer. I keep finding good vehicles except they have factory installed class II hitches. Those hitches are welded to the frame. How hard is it to change them, or can I install a class III hitch over/under it somehow?

Thanks
    Jena

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Get the vehicle of your choise and take it to a grey haired welder to get the present hitch properly reenforced. Welded metal is allready compromised via its temper, if you remove an existing hitch there is more needed than installing a better one.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd just cut them off and put on the hitch you want. Are you thinking about using torsion hitch leveling bars?

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

What's the towing capacity of the vehicles your looking at? Usually if they only have a class II hitch that's because that's all they are supposed to tow.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That is kind of what I was wondering too? Trucks around here either have the hole in the bumper, or a bolt-on class 3 reciever hitch that was bolted on the frame. I've not ever seen a class 2 hitch on a truck.

What is it you are looking at?

--->Paul

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm looking at Ford Explorer's, not trucks. They should be able to tow up to 5000 pounds, yet they put those wimpy ones on there. What the heck do you tow with those anyways???

I gave up and bought one today with the larger hitch already installed.

Jena