Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Ok, Now i am not a real political person but this is it...fact or fiction???????????/

At least one state is trying to make it illegal to drink unpasturized milk from your OWN cow/goat?

The Government is trying to make it illegal to "Collect rainwater"?

The Goverment is(or maybe has) making all persons register eveyone of their animals, so that they will be tracked (for safely reason in the food supply)?

Are these fact or fiction...urban legion? Will any of these happen or have they.
    Like i said, i really dont follow politics and have only hear "hear say" on these what is the real story...and if true what are you doing about them if it could affect you?

Belinda

2. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

I don't know what states you are referring to, but it's important to remember that very often the real story behind things like this turn out to be a single state legislator who is either just plain stupid or trying to get attention.

Here in Virginia, there was a bill proposed that would make it illegal for people to wear baggy pants. That will never, ever become law. It was only one guy who wanted some media attention that proposed it and it got killed in committee immediately. It's important to remember this when you hear that 'the government is trying' to do whatever. Usually the danger is essentially zero.

Of course, sometimes the nutcase who proposes something like that happens to be a big wheel in his party and his party just happens to have a monopoly on the entire government in that state or in Washington DC. When a party (and it is true for either party - this tendency has no favorites ) has a monopoly like that, suddenly the whole process by which nutty bills (like making it illegal to drink your own cow's milk) get debated and shot down just disappears. And then the most preposterous laws start getting passed right and left.

Anyway, so long as you have checks and balances on power with different parties controlling different parts of government I wouldn't lose any sleep over these proposals. If you live somewhere that this is not the case (such as under the US federal government at the moment), be very afraid and make as much noise about it as you can.

-Jack

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The rainwater part is in Washington. Someone is trying to make you get a permit to collect rainwater.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"The Goverment is(or maybe has) making all persons register eveyone of their animals, so that they will be tracked (for safely reason in the food supply)?"

There is an element of truth in that. Individual animals won't be registered but the USDA is in the process of assigning premise IDs to farms and ranches to track problem animals. The ID holder is required to tag the animals so that the animal and location where they originated can be identified after the animal is taken to market.

The government is trying to eliminate scrapie and also track future incidents of mad cow. The word is that they never did determine where all the animals went that were associated with those that had mad cow. That's why they want the tracking capability.

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Well, i dont feel so ignorant now...maybe a bit more informed but it does seem like more and more of these "regulations" from states or government are getting more and more invasive (sp) .

Belinda

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

7. boren

boren Well-Known Member

I can't speak about other states, but I know I always hear Michigan quoted with this one. WRT to Michigan, http://www.realmilk.com/happening.html says:

Michigan
    Raw milk sales are illegal. Michigan was the first state to pass mandatory pasteurization laws?the year was 1948?and has some of the strictest milk laws on the books. Farmers may not even sell raw milk from the farm. In 2002, at hearings on the revision of the Michigan State Dairy Code, the industry attempted to amend the code to make it illegal for dairy farmers, their family members, their farm workers, and even their farm animals to drink the farm's raw milk. This plan was fortunately dropped, due to the efforts of dairy farmer Chuck Oliver and members of the local chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me. The government at all levels have passed so many laws you are bound to violate at least one every day and not even realize it. The federal government is very bad about this. They shouldn't even be in the law enforcement business. They have one crime to really worry about and that is treason. Certainly they don't need the millions of laws they have passed. One good way to get a handle on it at the federal level is to make all of those laws sunset on a yearly basis and make them reauthorize them one by one every year.

On the state and local level very few of the laws being passed have anything to do with crime. Most of them are trying to control personal behavior of one type or another and wrapping it in the public safety shroud. When politicians start blubbering about public safety or protecting the children look out jack. They are coming for your Liberty and they will inflict any amount of legal shenanigans and in the end violence to get it.

9. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

As I understand it here in SD, all water belongs to the people (state) and that includes rain water. If you put in a well the state can put a meter on it and charge you for the water you use.