Homesteading Forum banner

FAC-Sept. '07

4K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  Marchwind 
#1 ·
It's September so time for the new Fiber Arts Chat (FAC). This is the time to come out of the woodwork or better yet out from under the fleeces and say hello! Let us know what you have been up to, what challenges you have been working on, and questions you may have. Newbies jump in and introduce yourself.

***Junebug this is your chance!!!!!! She is someone on another forum who is famous for lurking and I have been encouraging her to poke her head in and say hello.***

Fall is definitely in the air here. The leaves are beginning to change colors and the nights are perfect for sleeping. This weekend will be the last of the warm weather I am sure, 80's and sunny. That is way too warm for me but it will be nice for the holiday. my fingers are getting itchy for the feel of wool.

There is still a lot to do around here, does it ever end :baby04: My pear tree is loaded with pears. I need to do a search on the variety since I have no idea what to do with them all. They are small and hard as rocks, I'm thinking chutney, but there are so many on the tree I think I'll be working on them fro weeks. What else do you do with hard little pears :shrug: I'm not even sure when to harvest them or what they are supposed to be like. They are a mystery to me.

Life has been so crazy the past month or more I've been feeling very grumpy :grump: With getting ramped up for school for my own son, I also have my best friend's living with me for the year :dance: So if you all hear me talk about "my" you will know who I am talking about, her name is Cait. She is starting her first year of college and wanted to live here instead of in a dorm, I feel honored. Besides she is a fiber person who I think has lost her way. She spent the majority of her school life at a Waldorf school so has grown up knitting, spinning and weaving at school. Unfortunately her mother is not much of a fiber person so she hasn't carried on much. I'm hoping to make a solid addict of her :baby04: :dance:

What are you all up to?

See less See more
#3 ·
Falcon what type of spindle and what finally made it click for you? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Yes it is surprisingly easy once you "get it" :dance:

#4 ·
We're going to the annual sheep drive tomorrow, Sunday. It's always pretty entertaining and this year we got a booth and we'll be selling roving and handspun yarn. They have sheep shearing and lumber jack competions and an auction and entertainment and a street dance. The sheep run at 4:00 p.m.
http://www.visitmt.com/whatsnew/features/sheepishfun.htm

If anyone's in the neighborhood, stop in!

What's everyone else doing for the holiday weekend?

Here's a picture from last year's sheep drive ---

#5 ·
March, it's a handmade spindle from Aulsbeleth on eBay. She and her husband are active in the SCA and she markets spindles, fiber and yarn (and other stuff, I'm sure). But it has much better balance than my attempt and spins very nicely. Maybe that's what the key was - it does its own thing whilst I do mine instead of my having to constantly start it going (like mine). While the parade was going by the house today, I was out there spinning away. Got lots of second glances, too ;). I can get about a 5 or 6 ft thread spun standing up before winding...... unless my arms grow a lot longer, I'll have to be satisfied with that. How women spun every single thread they used with a spindle, though, I'll never underestimate again!

Two of our very good friends have come down for the night from KC and we're all out in the backyard enjoying a live concert. Well, I'm in here typing at the moment since I'm watching the brownies and getting ready to set out the vittles.

#6 ·
Pear pickles?

Sold my first skein today at the Farmer's Market; Dorset, 120yds, hand dyed with koolaid for $8, she looked up and said "are you sure?" Well, didn't that give me a nice feeling - that someone would actually appreciate what she was buying. Of course she is an artist herself. The market was very quiet with the holiday. Taking my wheel next week, in the meantime back to spinning, I am thinking of carding some llama with Jacob to spin and then weave into a poncho. Has anyone here any opinion about those 2 fibers together?

#7 ·
Hi Liese ...

Can't help you with carding together of the llama with Jacob, but I did do up a spindle of llama singles and one of kool-aid dyed wool (not positive what breed - the kool aid thing was an experiment, so I had used some commercially prepared generic 'wool' that I had handy) and plyed the two together. It made a really nice yarn, with the brown and the green twisted together. Maybe, if you were after the variegated effect, that would be something to try.

I knitted it up into a cowl for my mom for Christmas. :)

#8 ·
Congratulations, FalconDance! I'm very impressed.

I'm not doing anything with fiber right now. In a couple of days I'm leaving to drive my one and only child 10 hours away to start college.

After that, I have to come home and decide which of my little Shetlands I can keep over the winter and which have to go. That will be even harder than saying good-bye to my son, since I'll see him again after Thanksgiving!

#9 ·
frazzlehead said:
Hi Liese ...

Can't help you with carding together of the llama with Jacob, but I did do up a spindle of llama singles and one of kool-aid dyed wool (not positive what breed - the kool aid thing was an experiment, so I had used some commercially prepared generic 'wool' that I had handy) and plyed the two together. It made a really nice yarn, with the brown and the green twisted together. Maybe, if you were after the variegated effect, that would be something to try.

I knitted it up into a cowl for my mom for Christmas. :)
That sounds very nice and I'm sure your Mum was thrilled. That gives me an idea tho of doing some sublte overdying on the Jacob, hmmm.

I didn't want to go thru a lot of prep with the llama so thought I'd just add a bit, maybe 20%, to the Jacob for interest and lustre and with doing an outer garment thought perhaps any guard hair issue wouldn't be too annoying. Lashes' fiber doesn't seem to have much in the way of guard hair but since this is the only fiber llama I know.... :shrug:

#11 ·
I'm doing nothing recouperating from about 20 honey bee stings to the head, face & neck. spent last night in the hospital for observation. Thank God for the Epi-pen I keep handy. Within 5 minutes of the stings, my tongue started tingling, then swelling. I jabbed the epi pen into my thigh and Paul took me to the ER. My BP was low and my pulse was high.

After I was set in my room, Paul brought me back some books (one was one of my new weaving books). Gotta love the husband that knows how important fiber related things are to healing!

I've started combing and spinning the black Icelandic kid fleece for my daughter's hoodie sweater

#13 ·
Cyndi, you weren't wearing the goofy looking hat, were you? :nono: I guess Amazing G & I will have to come keep an eye on you and bring you Benadryl.

How is your spinning program coming along? Amazing G is looking forward to seeing your program almost as much as she is looking forward to seeing you!

I'm saving my pocket change for a wheel--shhh! I hid the jar from dh, & it's getting kinda heavy. What I'd like & what I can afford are miles apart at the moment, but ya gotta start somewhere :) I get such little time to spin, that I think a wheel might help with consistency.

#14 ·
When I was about 15 yo, after closing up a hive on a dreary MI fall day, walked away , oh, about a 100' or so and then took off my hat/veil - big mistake! Suddenly had a head full of bees! The man with me helped combed out the bees with his bare hands. Of course standing in a parking lot I didn't have a convenient pond of water to dive into. I had a headache for a week but no swelling. A swelling tongue is a scary experience, I think I will make certain Bob, who is allergic, calls his MD for an epi-pen today. Am glad you are okay.

#15 ·
well I am going to take my first true knitting class on Friday. I am learning to knit the toes up sock on two circular knitting needles. I can't beleive how expensive it is going to be. BBBUUUUUTTTTT I won a bet with DH and he has to pay for the class. This is the first time I have ever heard of a class being charged for by the hour. $12 an hour. Is this a normal in the price range sort of thing. I used to take quilting classes that were never this expensive.

Anyways I am off to bed. I worked MN last night and am ready to croak.

Caren

#16 ·
Cyndi, isn't this the second run-in with bees in as many months for you? Stop being so sweet and they'll leave you alone!

I'm getting a little (lot) discouraged. The silly Art Show is in a month, and I'm having major trouble finding time to get spinning done - always something else to do or someone's sick needing tending (I'm still fighting off whatever this nasty virus is that's rampant right now). By the time I get home from work and get supper ready, all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep - which means in few enough hours, it's get up and do it all over again. :Bawling:

Any advice?

#17 ·
kesoaps said:
Yikes, Cyndi! That is exactly what stops me from keeping bees. I'll get honey from the neighbor, thank you. Hope you heal up quick and start feeling better soon!
The swelling is almost gone. This is the first time in 5 years this has happened. I promised Paul I'd wear the hat/veil that zips on to my bee suit instead of the cross tied one from now on.

#18 ·
Cloverbud said:
Cyndi, you weren't wearing the goofy looking hat, were you? :nono: I guess Amazing G & I will have to come keep an eye on you and bring you Benadryl.
Yes, I was fully suited up. They have me on a methylpred pak for the swelling.

How is your spinning program coming along? Amazing G is looking forward to seeing your program almost as much as she is looking forward to seeing you!
Haven't thought too much about it - it's still a month away. I can hardly wait to see you guys again!

I'm saving my pocket change for a wheel--shhh! I hid the jar from dh, & it's getting kinda heavy. What I'd like & what I can afford are miles apart at the moment, but ya gotta start somewhere :) I get such little time to spin, that I think a wheel might help with consistency.
When the time is right, your pocket change & the wheel will match up.

I see Grams listed a wheel ....
I am selling my Ashford Traditional? single drive spinning wheel. The wheel does not say Ashford, you can tell where a label used to be. Everyone who has seen it says that it is in fact an Ashford.

Included is are 4 bobbins and a lazy kate.

$200.00 plus actual shipping from zip code 72039 as well as insurance.

#19 ·
Liese said:
When I was about 15 yo, after closing up a hive on a dreary MI fall day, walked away , oh, about a 100' or so and then took off my hat/veil - big mistake! Suddenly had a head full of bees! The man with me helped combed out the bees with his bare hands. Of course standing in a parking lot I didn't have a convenient pond of water to dive into. I had a headache for a week but no swelling. A swelling tongue is a scary experience, I think I will make certain Bob, who is allergic, calls his MD for an epi-pen today. Am glad you are okay.
I never work bees on a cloudy day! 100' from the hive? Wow! That's some agressive bees. The epi pen saved the day for me. It's not a cure for an anthropalictic reaction, it just buys you time to get to the hospital.

#20 ·
FalconDance said:
Cyndi, isn't this the second run-in with bees in as many months for you? Stop being so sweet and they'll leave you alone!
next time I'll suck on some lemons!!! :)

I'm getting a little (lot) discouraged. The silly Art Show is in a month, and I'm having major trouble finding time to get spinning done - always something else to do or someone's sick needing tending (I'm still fighting off whatever this nasty virus is that's rampant right now). By the time I get home from work and get supper ready, all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep - which means in few enough hours, it's get up and do it all over again. :Bawling:

Any advice?
I wish I did. Get your sleep so you can get over this virus. You can only do what you can do. If you find a way to make more hours in the day, pass it along!

#21 ·
Cyndi I'm glad to hear you are doing alright. How scary that must have been :help: Hopefully you will be up and spinning in no time.

#22 ·
Marchwind said:
Cyndi I'm glad to hear you are doing alright. How scary that must have been :help: Hopefully you will be up and spinning in no time.
Odd, I wasn't scared at all (okay maybe a bit nervous when my tongue started tingling) but I had my epi-pen and we're only 15 minutes from the hospital!)

I was spinning again yesterday and back to work today.

#24 ·
Gosh you guys must think I am terribly rude. I am sorry about Cyndi's bee stings. My son Got stung on the finger and I had to take him in to get a shot. First we went to the walk in clinic just to wait for an hour to be told to give him benadryl. I tried to tell him about the allergies in my family but the DA Dr wouldn't listen.

So the next day when his arm was swollen up too I took him to my Dr's and they gave him a shot pf Depomedral or rather I did because he freaked out when he seen the needle and would only allow me to give it.

I'm a nurse and on tuesdays and wensdays I work midnights taking care of a 12 year old girl on a ventilator. This morning I got home and since DH had training in Lansing all day after working Midnights so i had to do all the chores this morning 22 calves on milk then had to give silage and water to all the older calves.

So one again I apologise for jumping in midconversation with a nonrelated comment. I really shouldn't be allowed to post in the middle of my night. :shrug: sorry.

Caren

#25 ·
Caren said:
well I am going to take my first true knitting class on Friday. I am learning to knit the toes up sock on two circular knitting needles.
I have a book about knitting toe up on two circulars - just can't get it though. Guess I'm stuck on cuff down using 5 DPNs!

I can't beleive how expensive it is going to be. BBBUUUUUTTTTT I won a bet with DH and he has to pay for the class. This is the first time I have ever heard of a class being charged for by the hour. $12 an hour. Is this a normal in the price range sort of thing.
I've taken a few fiber classes (locker hooking, basket weaving) at fiber fairs they were a set price for the class (including materials), not by the hour.

This link might help for toe up socks on circulars:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

I think I'm going to locate the book I have and post it for sale (or trade :) )

#26 ·
Caren
:nono: You have no reason to apologize - I'm thinking I've been rude taking up so much of this thread on a few bee stings. Doc has me on a medrol pack for 6 days.

Choring that many animals after working a full night has to be tiring. Go get some rest!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.