Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 517 Posts

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the Fiber Arts Chat (FAC). There is a new thread for each month, more or less on the first of the month. We come here to talk about our lives and what is happening in them, not necessarily fiber related. This is a great place to just touch base if life is keeping you too busy to post anything more substantial. If you are new to the Fiber Forum this is a good place to jump in and introduce yourself, or you can start a new thread. We love our newbies, so be ready for a hardy welcome and to show pictures :). If you have questions you are welcome to post them here or start a new thread, it will be easier to search out and find later.

It is officially fall/winter around here. We had snow today, not much but enough big fluffy flakes to coat everything with a very thin white veil, it quickly melted. Our over night low was *26 and our high will be *42. I don't have much fibery going on here right now. I'm busy putting away all the warm weather things, switching clothes, washing coats and mittens, checking sweaters.......

Don't forget, clocks get set back an hour tonight (Nov. 2). An extra hour of sleep, yippy!

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Hey, you Midwesterners! Would you please keep your weather to yourselves? We woke up to snow this morning--big, fat flakes and coming down hard, at least for us. Have I mentioned that we were in shorts a couple of days ago?

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414844388.932038.jpg

On the fiber front, I finished spinning some mohair locks this week as well as some merino. The washed skeins are drying at the moment.

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414844449.657997.jpg

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Oh and WIHH, you need to be careful! Like Kasota said, I have about 2,000 square feet of bubble wrap if you need it. . .
I think my wheel's name is Etta. It's a German name that means "little one".
Philip is going to give her a tune-up today. :) We still can't figure out the footman though.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Lovely yarn!
And I want your bathtub.
Thanks! And yes, the tub is pretty awesome. It was in a house we bought a few years back as an investment. We fixed up the house and sold it, but the tub came home with us.

Here's a better photo:
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414846194.193155.jpg

Oh, and it's still snowing. In South Carolina. In November.
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414846245.155597.jpg

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Oh, my BBC you are getting a bit of snow! You will have to stay inside where it is warm and do fibery things! I love your yarn!

I have a tub like that also. Mine could probably use a refinish but it is one of those big ol' claw foot slant back soakers. Delightful for bubble baths. :)

Svenska - Etta is a lovely name! :)

It's cold here but not snowing. I need to sit and pay some bills today, clean off my desk and organize some things in my room that seem to have spread out all over. Then I hope to knit. I'm bummed I can't go look at that ****** wheel today - mom is not feeling so well. There was another one down in Mpls that was very similar but that one is gone also. Apparently there is someone on Ravelry in the Mpls area who is willing to go look at wheels and RR them out so that is how some of the cool ones in my area are disappearing so quick. I will have to be faster if I find a cool deal! LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I'm loving that yarn AND that tub!! Man, what I wouldn't give for a soak in that baby! And snow in SC?!! :eek:

SF, that wheel is so cute, and Etta is such a perfect name for her!

Hope everyone had a great Halloween! We trick-or-treated for a few hours and the kids got more than enough candy!

Attachments

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MDKatie were you using a phone to take the pictures? You may have to hold the phone right side up and "edit" the photos on the phone and get them the right way before posting. I know it happens with my iPod, iPad, and my phone.

BbC I think you got more snow than we did. Ours is gone but it's cold out, it's 28 right now.

Love the kitty photo bombing the last picture, cute costumes.

Kasota I'm sorry you can't go look at that wheel. Something's are just meant to be. When there is a wheel for you all the starts will line up and it will be yours. Enjoy the ones you have now and start working with that loom :)

I'm lounging with the critters, still in my jammies wrapped in a fleece blanket. I need to get out and walk the dogs. Kittens are stampeding around the house and getting into trouble. I hope to spend some time spinning today. Off to get dressed and start my day.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
We had a fun, albeit cold, trick or treating experience. My littler kiddos made it one block before throwing in the towel, then my husband took our oldest out for more (though they stopped at a friend's house, went inside to warm up and stayed for an hour instead ;)).

SF, the wheel is adorable.

Great yarn, ladies!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn't want to post in the last FAC, I felt like I was intruding, haha, so I'm excited for a new one! I have really loved following along in the shadows and seeing what everyone does in real life. I am very jealous of everyone that lives on a ranch/farm/homestead, etc. I would dearly love to have lots of animals and be self-sustaining. I just love knowing where everything came from, which is why I got into spinning. I also make a lot of my own self-care products, like shampoo/conditioner/herbal rinse, body butter, sugar scrub, etc. One day our careers will allow us to move somewhere where a bit of land and a little homestead will be possible. I've been stalking the real estate forum on here too, drooling over the listings.

I have been so excited for this weekend! Tonight we're going to a lovely Scottish-themed restaurant called the Tam O'Shanter owned by the Lawry's family (everyone knows them by the seasoned salt you can buy) they have the BEST prime rib on the planet and Lawry's Prime Rib in Hollywood is my favorite restaurant. It's expensive and fancy, so we only go once in a while for special occasions. Tonight it's a present from my mom for my birthday, and my husband and my 2 year wedding anniversary. Both were in early October, but thanks to my work schedule this is the first chance we've had to go. Then tomorrow is my first fiber festival! I am so excited! I am hoping to find a good deal on combs, I really want to start working that lovely squishy navajo churro wool that's taunting me.

I also just found out that I get next Sunday off, which means I get to go to the drop spindle class that's only an hour from me! I was really disappointed because I thought I was going to have to work, but I don't, yay! My last bit of excitement-- I got an A in my fifth class for my master's degree! I'm officially half way through now and have managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA, despite my last professor being really tough on me (which I liked, it challenged me and made that A SO rewarding). I'm going to try to get into a prestigious school for my doctorate, so I really want a 4.0 coming out of my master's.

SF, that wheel is just lovely! I didn't know they had upright ones like that. I need to research those more, that is a really neat design. Are there advantages of that design? I have a lot to learn, haha.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
JessW, welcome to FAC (and for the record, you would definitely not have been intruding in the previous FAC. This is a very friendly bunch.) Congratulations on the A--well done, and how cool that you will be able to take a spindle class!

The snow stopped around noon. According to the local weather reports, it's the earliest snowfall on record for the area. We now return you to your regular programming.

Gratuitous pic of cat with spinning wheel:
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414860226.867968.jpg

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Jess, you wouldn't have been intruding! But I can understand the feeling. It's like when some people you kindof know are having a conversation, and you want to join, but you just stand there awkwardly like, am I allowed to join? Is this weird? I think I know that answer!
Today I am decorating my shop. Sticks are all up on the top shelf! :teehee: And berries and hedge apples.
And I wove some. And I might spin some art yarn. I was going to do a bunch of yarn inspired by Starry Night, but I don't have dark blue roving right now. Only dark teal. Maybe I'll have to dye some tomorrow.
This is the scarf I started yesterday. Merino-Bamboo-Silk. I think it is an Elsa scarf. :)
Philip is working on my wheel today. He is reattaching loose trim and moving the piece of trim that is keeping the footman from moving freely. (A lady on Facebook says she thinks the legs and treadle are not original. Maybe that's my problem? )
It's a good day overall.

Attachments

·
Interrobanger
5,656 Posts
Day #2 of salsa cooking and canning. My hands are on fire from slicing up jalapenos, but thankfully, I will get it all done today.

After canning three canners worth yesterday, I did manage to get outside and help Cabin Fever a bit so that he could come in before dark thirty. I loaded firewood into the wheel barrow and stacked it on the porch - seven wheelbarrows of it. It feels great to have that done for the week.

(This pic is from several years back but shows what I am talking about.)

I thought some physical activity would work the kinks out after my fall, but I am very sore today- very very sore. :( Hopefully I will get a better night's rest tonight.

Enjoy our snow, BBC. I know the ground there is warm, so it won't last long. It is certainly cooling down here- yesterday, I had thick ice on the tarp covering the firewood.

Winter preps are going on everywhere. I saw the cemetery workers placing wooden stakes at every head stone to help folks find their loved ones once the snow has fallen.

Well, gotta get back to the salsa. I have a thumb to do on a pair of mittens for the granddaughter and the last two pair to get started.

have a great day, everyone.

Hugs to Granny Annie and Woodpecker.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Jess, Im glad you posted here, but ya didnt hafta wait !! We welcome everyboy with open arms !

Marchwind, is that a new ravitar picture ?! I like it .... looks like you are playing a harmonica !!!

Gracious...snow already ! We only have rain, but its getting colder !

I have been slowly warping my loom , boy its fun learning this ! I will post a pic after I get a little weaving done on it !

FIL is still hanging in there .... not sure how much longer he has ..... somedays you wonder if he will make through the night, and others he is coherent and clear .....

I hope Granny and WP are feeling better ... you too WIHH , dont overwork yourself !

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Had a photo shoot on site today. :)

Photographer friend from the Peoria fashion event is looking to get published.
She brought 2 models and 2 hair and makeup girls and we all set to "work".

The main focus was sweaters, but she took a few of accessories, for fun, and we can sneak peak those cuz they ain't going to the magazines, see......

Attachments

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Tomorrow is going to be a fiber day!!!

An old acquaintance from a singing group I was in back in the mid to late 70's (similar to Up With People) & I got reacquainted on a FB fiber group. She & her husband & a couple of friends will be coming up tomorrow afternoon for some fiber, homesteading & eating.

The friend, Ava, and her husband own a fiber store (365 Days a Farm). I actually met them a number of years ago when one of my fiber guilds took a trip over there. They are Kromski dealers and she will be bringing up a Symphony for me to test drive.

I've been wanting a faster wheel. I love my Sonata with the 19" drive wheel but I have to treadle faster than I like, even on the fastest whorl. My ankle is sore for days after spinning. The highest ratio on the Sonata is a 14:1, but they have a faster flyer that is 18:1. Getting a faster flyer would certainly be cost effective, but I'm spoiled by the WooLee Winder

The Symphony has a 24" drive wheel with the fast whorl being 20:1. I need to find out the ratios for the Symphony WooLee Winder.

I'm also looking at getting an Ashford Elizabeth 30 .... if one can be found and if the WooLee Winder maintains the high ratios!

1 - 20 of 517 Posts