Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry! Things have been crazy lately. Sort of in shock today with the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis. Thankfully as far as I know no one close to me was near it. I was just on that bridge a month ago. Crazy and very sad.

Fiber things have been sort of scattered. Ive been carding some black Shetland, and spinning at demos and knitting on some socks. I'm doing another demo at another county fair this Saturday with my guild. I need to work on my son's dredded sweater that I have been working on for years. No it STILL is NOT finished :grump: :Bawling:

Anyway, it's August, school starts for the kids in another month. My son is in his last year of high school and is playing football. Their first game is Aug. 31st. I'm hoping I can go to the home games and knit in the stands. Maybe I should be knitting myself a pair of fingerless gloves instead of socks.

All you newbies and oldies please check in. I know we have had a LOT of people taking up spinning recently :dance: please let us know how you are doing and if you have any questions. Who was is that got the Golding beginner kit? I'd love to know what you think of it. It sounds like a nice gift idea.

Okay Falcon what did you want to add :dance:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not much :shrug:. My youngest son (though not youngest child) was born on this date 20 years ago :clap:. I'm in the midst of packing up goodies to take to a bbq/grill out in his honor. And, of course, the wheel's going.

Friends came over last night. She tried to learn how to spin about the same time I did years ago and never quite "got" it .... but seeing my handspun and wheels set in the living room has made her start thinking on trying again! Plus she's going to ask one of her daughters if she'd like to learn from me (she's very young but loves stuff like that.)

Ok, thanks March for giving us a new FAC :D. Gotta go make yummy things to eat and to wear now! Bye.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
What a busy summer, hugh? I've been demonstrating at Watkin's Mill some weekends. Our knitting/crocheting group just got started up again--we do our thing plus squares to sew together for the homeless. Been knitting socks, crocheting on a bedspread for the church auction---got to get that done! But my bestest spinning pal is fighting cancer again for the third time. She's been really sick with the chemo. She is such a brave, tough gal---prayers for Liz.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
We're in the process of trying to get our homestead up and running so we can move out there (finally). We are getting our well in Tuesday, and that is a big step. After that, we can pretty much move out any time (gotta buy another air conditioner first and get some propane for the stove) LOL

I've been working on some purchased roving (Merino - I'm in love), and I am still working on my tons of dirty Rambouillet when I can (I need a drum carder or at the very, very least some hand carders - this dog brush thing is taking forever).

I am so looking forward to fall. It is my most favorite season of all and I just love it. Too bad winter is just beyond! Oh well, anything is better than these 95 degree temps with 80 percent humidity. It just zaps the life out of you.

I'm working on a hat, and I will post pics when I get it done!

So glad to be here with all you guys. It's wonderful

donsgal

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
Ana Bluebird said:
What a busy summer, hugh? I've been demonstrating at Watkin's Mill some weekends. Our knitting/crocheting group just got started up again--we do our thing plus squares to sew together for the homeless. Been knitting socks, crocheting on a bedspread for the church auction---got to get that done! But my bestest spinning pal is fighting cancer again for the third time. She's been really sick with the chemo. She is such a brave, tough gal---prayers for Liz.
when are you at watkins mill, i didnt know they had demo's?

might have to plan on going to see that.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Donsgal, pm me your address and let me send this extra set of carders to use! Darn it, girl, nobody else is using them now and you know that idle carders are the devil's playground!

(Or was that idle hands :shrug: :D ).

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
August is off to a big start!

Our 'rental son' is now ours legally as of 8/2 @ 9:30 AM. The judge signed the petition for legal guardianship. Got him enrolled in school yesterday. Had a talk with the principal and one of the custodians (the custodian is a family friend that relates well to kids like D.)

A fiber friend that I met last fall at a junior tackle football game (she was knitting, I was crocheting) got into spinning on a spindle a couple months ago and called me last night to tell me she purchased an Ashford Traveller. She'll probably join me at tomorrow's farmer's market with her wheel.

Oldest daughter (20) is moving to her own place. As soon as she has her stuff moved out of her room (hopefully this weekend) we can move 'D' into her room and I'll have my fiber room back. Maybe then I'll be able to get the promised merino weighed up and shipped out. I did find them - that's a start! Both of the fleeces have been scoured - one still needs more though.

Got in 3# of loverly Corriedale X roving (it was listed on the barter board - nice stuff - I recommend it!). Need to start combing the black icelandic fleece and get that spun so I can start on DD's hoodie sweater.

Started my canning. Saturday 'Madame' will be down for a soapmaking lesson, I'm sure we'll get some spinning in there too! Sunday, there are more tomaters to get canned up, probably some more pickles too.

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
Our weekend will be spent building lamb jugs... our first lambs are expected next week. Yes... more black Merino/Suffolk cross... 3/4 Merino as the momma's are 3/4 Merino X 1/4 Suffolk and our ram is 3/4 Merino X 1/4 Suffolk (and he's black, too).

Right after that, we have to move our round pen... bought another horse this last week. That means we have to add a stall to our horse shed (just can't call it a barn). A friend is bringing his BIG tractor over to level the site early this next week.

Of course, that means I'll have a really big pile of horse manure to work with at the composting site. Guess it's time to build another compost pile with the sheep litter, horse manure, and whatever other green stuff I can find... Oh, and about 20 pounds of coffee grounds.

At some point, it's time to butcher the roo's... then I can clean the hen house and get the young girls settled in and ready to lay eggs. To do that, we still have to finish the nest boxes. They need sides, a top, and a way for Mom to reach the eggs without having to go into the hen house.

Oh, and we're finally eating a little bit from our garden... we've enjoyed a couple rounds of broccoli, and our very first carrot. We had a fair amount of "firecrackers" (radishes). Soon we'll have sugar snap peas, cucumbers, and then corn and tomatoes (if they ripen).

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
August already! <sigh> My summer of freedom is coming to a crashing close soon. I still have lots of wool to sort and clean, but it will go slowly now.

I think I'm going to have a talk with hubby about some changes that need to be made around here. I think I'd like to quit doing turkeys and geese. Chickens, sheep, and angora rabbits are enough to keep me busy, I think. The water needs of the geese take a lot of work. The turkeys just stripped my grape vines :flame: ...again.

I know that he's looking forward to having the full homesteading experience next summer, but I've been doing this basically alone for three years now, and have figured out what I am willing to deal with and what I'm not. He hasn't had the chance yet. So, I'm torn between just telling him what I plan to do, or waiting, dealing with it all another year, and then bringing it up, after he gets to see for himself who causes what work for what return.

Possibly I'm down on parts of this because the last two summers I've been doing this alone and damaged. Last year it was a broken ankle. This year the broken knee. It's made me look harder at what is important to me.

When he was home last winter, we did do some construction changes, to make things easier on a damaged person...just in case, we said. :rolleyes: I'm grateful now that we took the time to raise doors and gates so they would swing more easily, and install a couple new gates, so someone didn't have to walk around the long way. But those changes really aren't enough.

For three years now, he's home for a few months during the winter, and we build, and put up fence. He leaves in the spring, this year in March, and I do lambing, incubating the poultry and raising them, breeding rabbits and slaughtering those by myself. We did shear before he left. When he gets back this November, we'll butcher all the poultry I've raised. He'll get a few days to visit in September, and we'll do the fall shearing then, a bit early.

I guess I'm feeling a bit disillusioned here. I've ahd the summer off, and feel like I haven't accomplished a thing. Now it's almost time to go back to work, and I feel like now I never will get anything completed.

<sigh> Short-timers disease, I reckon. I'm very glad he's going to retire when he gets back. Maybe I'll just let him take over all the farm chores for a while, so he can really get the full homestead experience! Then we'll discuss the geese and turkeys. :D

So, I just used this to talk out my current frustration, and figure out a tentative plan. The question now is, do I delete this as I usually do, or post it, just for the heck of it?

Ah, why not.......

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What the heck is right Meg! Get those frustrations out here, we have strong shoulders and maybe a few good ideas. Besides aren't we almost like family? Now you have a plan and you have worked things out in your head, sort of. How easy was that?

I had a nice surprise when I went home on break to do chores. I had a mama hen greet outside the coop :flame: with 6 tiny chicks, awwwwwwww! Cuteness factor is so high on those little balls of fluff.

LFMenagerie was kind enough to give me 4 of her great laying hens, man those hen are happy girls and love to lay a lot of eggs :dance: I have another hen sitting a a bunch of eggs, she got off the nest one of the really hot days, and I noticed that they are almost all eggs laid by LFMenagerie's hens :p Clever girls! I hope they hatch out, it should be in a few weeks I think.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Marchwind-
Glad to hear those chickens are still dropping eggs in every nest they find. They are good at that :rolleyes:

Meg-
OOOOH! No wine for you with the grapes gone. I have some good recipes for other fruit wine if you need it. Just tell me the berry you have lots of. :p
Hang in there, girl. I'll send you a bottle, finished, if you need it!

I already updated some of the things that I am up to. Our rooster was dead one morning about a month ago. That was weird. :shrug: Good thing one of the Auracanas hatched those little 'eagles' to choose a new rooster from.
Two of my new goats are showing thier pregnancies. No idea when they would be due except we seperated them (from the buck) in the end of May when we brought them home. Not looking forward to Fall kids :grump: . But the addition of the barn has insulated walls and almost all the sheeting up on the walls too (good job Tom). The older section is already insulated so it is relatively warm (for Northern Minnesota - did I tell you we are 20 miles from the Ice Box of the Nation?)
The garden is asking to be frisked, one of my daughters packs and moves to go to Cosmo-school in two weeks. Another daughter came back home after living on her own for two years so she is waiting for that room to be hers. My youngest daughter is a Senior (I just took her up for Senior pictures) and oldest is having a baby (as if I didn't tell you already). I will be starting work (sigh) in the end of August and my DH will begin Cross country for the highschool he teaches at in the middle of Aug. To much to do before that starts for us both. :stars:
Chickens, two turkeys, and a couple goats to butcher, some goat horns to remove, rabbits to get rid of, garden things to take care of. :hobbyhors I'd better get off here and get busy.
Pam

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
LFmenagerie said:
:

Meg-
OOOOH! No wine for you with the grapes gone. I have some good recipes for other fruit wine if you need it. Just tell me the berry you have lots of. :p
Hang in there, girl. I'll send you a bottle, finished, if you need it!

Pam
:rotfl:

NOW I understand the reference to wine in your pm..... :p

Yep, half the grapes are wine grapes. But they're all gone. I had picture perfect clusters of grapes out there, for the first year ever. Now I have little stems where the grapes used to be. :flame:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep, half the grapes are wine grapes. But they're all gone. I had picture perfect clusters of grapes out there, for the first year ever. Now I have little stems where the grapes used to be. :flame:[/QUOTE]

I can understand your :badmood: . Hope it has lifted now.
Since you make wine, too I'd be embarassed for you to taste mine. I have to use other fruit cause I don't have any grapes. But Raspberry makes a great fruity wine that you can get make so it give a serious kick in the shorts and it can be blended with chokecherry for a bit of dryness.
Makes me want to go and try a bottle from last year....but I can only drink a glass cause I don't drink very often therefore I get fruity fast. :buds:

Wonder how many others make wine? We could start another forum :p

Pam

·
fiber crone
328 Posts
Tom had to have knee surgery this afternoon, and we were sitting here this morning before going to the hospital, the electric appliances were busy doing the housework, Tom was playing his guitar, the dogs were playing and being very cute and I was weaving on a triloom.

I thought, man life is just GREAT! Fast forward to the afternoon, Tom came through the surgery great, not in a lot of pain and we were home before 4:00. Life is still GREAT!

I went out right after we got home to check the rabbits and they were all 4 dead. I feel so BAD! I am afraid to even go check my chickens. I know it is silly to be so upset since it is really hot here and it is not at all rare for heat related deaths in this kinda heat, but they were really sweet rabbits.

I need a hug.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
grams said:
I need a hug.
:grouphug: and also :kissy:

I'm very sorry.

Meg

·
Registered
500 Posts
Aw grams :grouphug: I'm sorry.

This heat is bad on everything that breathes.

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
[
I went out right after we got home to check the rabbits and they were all 4 dead. I feel so BAD! I am afraid to even go check my chickens. I know it is silly to be so upset since it is really hot here and it is not at all rare for heat related deaths in this kinda heat, but they were really sweet rabbits.

I need a hug.[/QUOTE]

Very sorry to hear about your bunnies. I do checks now about 4x/day and everytime I wonder what I'll find. Farming seems to be either surviving one diseaster after another or averting one diseaster after another. Either way it takes a toll. With the summers so brutal I am thinking to have a bunny area in the house - unfortunately I can't extend this to sheep! We sheared one of the lambs this morning at 6:30; I figured we'd do one a day before Bob leaves for work. But what I noticed during my rounds was that she was puffing just as much as her unsheared sister. Perhaps I am not doing her any favour? I think we'll observe the situation another couple of days before we unzip another since those fleeces will be more saleable with a longer staple. Their health and comfort comes before sales but if it doesn't make one wit of difference that's different.

Hey, can I have that raspberry wine recipe? That sounds wonderful - we had lots of wild blackberries this year and I'd rather drink than eat!

On a fibery note, I did some kool-aid dyeing yesterday. All pink or red colours. I also gathered some golden rod flowers. WIll pick up some cream of tartar tomorrow and have some experimentation.

Best to all.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Liese said:
Hey, can I have that raspberry wine recipe? That sounds wonderful - we had lots of wild blackberries this year and I'd rather drink than eat!.
You make yourself sound a right lush here :nono: ...'rather drink than eat'...LOL. It's a good thing I know better!

Meg

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
I sat down last night & skirted a fleece. :) I am sending some out to be processed, and when I did the shearing I didn't keep things very clean so it needed a bit of cleanup. I sat on a stool and just pulled chunks of fleece from the pile, shook, picked out vm, and dumped the very best and cleanest into a box I'll keep and hand process, and the medium into another box to go to the mill, and the yukkiest bits into a pile that'll end up on the compost heap. It actually was a fairly pleasant experience, I listened to an audio book while I did it. When I finished, I hand carded some of the nice stuff & started spinning. In fact, I'm gonna go do some more spinning of that stuff right now. :)

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
Meg Z said:
You make yourself sound a right lush here :nono: ...'rather drink than eat'...LOL. It's a good thing I know better!

Meg
Well, a couple of glasses of wine in the evening probably doesn't make me a lush...but the idea of turning blackberries into wine does appeal more to me than eating them. Unless you have to sieve out the seeds with your teeth :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts