F-150 Belt Help Needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jessandcody, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jessandcody

jessandcody Well-Known Member

Ok we have a 1991 Ford F-150, 2WD, 300 straight 6, fuel injected, push button over-drive transmission with standard cab. (Not sure what all you need to know) The serpentine belt is shot and needs replaced but we aren't sure how the new one goes on. No matter how I try it, I have slack left over. Does anyone know the sequence for this? We are stranded at the farm and can't get anywhere to get it replaced by someone else.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
    -Cody

2. Stush

Stush Well-Known Member

Check your belt routing. There should be a diagram under the hood or in the owners manual. Grooved pulleys ride on the grooved side of the belt and smooth pulleys ride the smooth side. Proper routing is critcal!

One of the smooth pulleys will be your tensioner pulley. You will need a ratchet with cheater bar to "swing" this pulley to allow you to install the belt. This will be the last pulley that you put the belt on.

Find the diagram and double check the routing first.

3. !BigHogLeg!

!BigHogLeg! Member

jessandcody,
    Look in the owners manual or go online and search something like F150 drive belt instalation at google. Also, your belt might even be the wrong belt all together. Compair the number to your old belt. Also, someone may have removed a polution pump or something making all the extra slack seem wrong.

!BIG!

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I agree, there is a diagram under the hood on our 91 F150. Also ours eats a belt yearly for some reason, good to keep a spare in the truck!

5. jessandcody

I checked online to find a scamatic(sp) but couldnt find anything for free. tried about 12 or so differant search wordings in yahoo, I'll try google next. I know about the belt sides and the pully tention and such but every way I try it there is at least 4-5 inches extra belt. There may have been another pump or something but I got the belt messured for length to make sure this didnt happen......good thought but It still happend :confused: It almost has to be the order in wich it gets put on but I didnt think it would be that hard to figure out, there only seams to ge a few ways it could go but after doing thoghs few ways I'm still stupped!!!

Thank you for the responce(so quick!). Any more help would be great.

thanks,
    Cody

6. jessandcody

theres no tag under hood....I wish there was :waa:

Cody

7. !BigHogLeg!

!BigHogLeg! Member

jessandcody,
    You could call the closest dealer and see if they have something that they can email to you. Some copy machines have scan-to-file or scanner and they can get it outta a book and send it to you. It's worth a try anyway. I went to google and saw F150 chat groups that may have archive. Hope you get it fixed and Good luck.

!Big!

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    From the sticker of my 300 6 engins hood. Starting at the upper left as you view the engine from being in front of it.
    1. outside of the alternator down to;
    2. outside of the air pump across to;
    3. the crankshaft (harmonic balancer) counterclockwise to;
    4. clockwise around the water pump and across to;
    5. the A/C compressor, under and back left to;
    6. up to the power steering pump to;
    7. under tensioner - which will have to be pulled to a tighter pressure to get the new belt under it.

Basically a loop with the water pump and the tensioner being outside of the loop, all else within.

9. jessandcody

Thaks for the dealer Idea....I'll try that after I see if moopups truck is the same as mine is regarding the pullies.

thank you both!!
    cody

10. jessandcody

moopup, unfortunatly we dont have the same pully set up :(
    still tring tho....going to call dealer next

thanks
    cody

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

With A/C this should be the orientation
    Starting at the top of alternator
    then to the bottom of the idler/tensioner
    next to the top of the power steering
    then down the right side and under the A/C
    then under the crankshaft pulley and
    back to right and over the top of the fan pulley
    now down and under the smog pump and back to the alternator
    a non A/C uses a different setup....you did not state which you had.
    The smooth side of the belt runs against the tensioner and the fan pulleys. The ribbed side to the pulleys on all others.

12. I took a picture of the neighbors' truck sticker.... it's not very good but it might help you out. It has dual configurations (w and w/o AC).

Be as I can't post an attachment you need to give me an Email addy to forward the picture to.

Contact me at tbollman@twlakes.net and I will forward the picture too you.

13. Thank you all for your help!!!

I called the local dealership and the guy at the sevice desk helped by looking it up in the mechanics computer. Once I found out the order it was easy, 5 min. job. But I tell you it was hard to figure out the order without seeing how it was before the belt broke. The order was not as odvious as I thought it would be!! Man I had figured out about 5 way's it could have gone on but not the right one! SOMETHING would have been turning backwards if I had My way yesterday LOL.

Thanks again all!!

Cody