Eyes Tearing

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by copesq, Jul 14, 2005.

1. copesq

copesq Well-Known Member

When I brought my Jersey heifer in from the pasture this evening I noticed streaks running from her eyes down her face. Her eyes looked like they were tearing or crying. Is this do to the flies/heat?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Could be pinkeye! Pinkeye is usually confined to a single eye but I have seen it in both. Look at the white portion of the eye and see if it is reddish.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

As Agman says, have a good look at the eyes to see if they are inflammed.

However, you will be coming into the height of your summer and if you are suffering from hot, dry, dusty, windy conditions, lack of shade or a combination, they will often make cows "cry" - and for some reason the Jersey is more susceptible.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Only one of our cows has teary eyes. All are Angus cross ... the white face ones have black patches over their eyes. Since the teary one's eyes did not look pink I was guessing irritation of some sort.

My theory is, Jerseys have such big buggy eyes they are more exposed and thus more teary.

Cooler weather will make us all happier :rock:

ann

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have flies? We had black baldies when I was a kid and the flies were always thick during the summer. We would run the cows in the corral every two weeks and apply an insecticide. The tearing would clear up once the flies were gone.

Bobg