Eye problem- what is it?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by khowellrn, Mar 28, 2006.

1. khowellrn

khowellrn Well-Known Member

I have a New Zealand White buck, 2 years old, hutched, never had a problem before. He has one eye that is funky. The upper eyelid is inflamed and protruding along the edge. Looks like a tiny tounge sticking out! There's a little white drainage, not much. I wiped it off with warm water when I was checking it out, and it doesn't seem to bother him. I think remember seeing this on a website, but I can't find it now. It doesn't look like I would expect weepy eye to look, because there's very little drainage. Is it just an infection? If so, do I just squirt NFZ in there? Any other ideas?

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know what the problem is, but if it's enflamed then I'd give a squirt of dry cow treatment into the eye. That's pretty good for infections as it is oil based and stays around for awhile. There are a lot of different infections and conditions found in eyes. I suspect in this case your buck may have an ingrown eyelash that is doing the problem.

If it doesn't appear to bother him I don't think I'd be too concerned. I'd give him an antibiotic treatment, however.

Jennifer

3. khowellrn

khowellrn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the :) advice!