Eye infections

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has gotten eye infections in there lambs, right after birth, I think it is from moldy hay or straw, we have had one lamb this year have an eye infection, she is alright she can see, but her eyes are a little cloudy and they were running yesterday, they look much better today.
    Any info would be great!

Thanks, Melissa

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

It sounds like it may be Entropion... Look closely at the eye lid and see if it is turned in ever so slightly...When the eyelids rolls in a bit, it causes the eyelashes to irritate the eyeball, causing the weeping your seeing and the cloudy eyeball.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We see the odd case of new born pink eye we treat it the same as in adults with a dose of tetracycline.

4. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I have looked at the eye several times and there isn't a problem with the eyelids everything was normal.

Ross- I also thought of Pink eye, we have never had a problem with sheep getting pink eye. Only the odd case in our cattle. I know there was another lamb that had the same symptoms earlier and she came over the problem fairly quickly, well a week but we didn't give her anything for it so thats why I say quickly. Thanks I will see what we can do about the tetracycline. I know this isn't the same but if we were do just give a small dose of peniciline, until we get the tetracycline, would it help at all?
    Thanks, Melissa

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've heard of people squirting Pen G into the eye externally but never tried it myself. You shouldn't really mix antibiotic types but used topically even in the eye, wouldn't offend that guideline. Kind of odd when i got home from shopping I was told one of our bottle lambs has the same problem!