Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks! I'm new here as well as new to caring for pigs. We recently purchased a pig and she is roughly 7 weeks old or so. Her one eye has recently starting getting gunky and stuck shut. Both eyes are inflamed (tissue around the eyes). I've read about chlamydia eye infection but her penmate (her sister) is not showing any signs of infection at all. Is it possible she has perhaps just straw or dirt in the eye? I've been cleaning them with soaked cotton pads (water) with a few drops of iodine on the pad. She doesn't seem to mind it and seems to know it will help her. My next step is to try colloidal silver. I would rather try alternatives first than go straight to antibiotics. Should I also be flushing her eyes with saline? Any thoughts or guidance would be most appreciated....though please be gentle with me! I'm just a beginner! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I pulled some straw out of her eyes today (had not pierced the eyeball but was floating around)...Why is this an issue for this pig but not her sister, I wonder? Will this be an ongoing issue that we have to continually clean and treat her eyes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts