Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old buck has an eye infection that won't clear up.
i have treated it and it looks like it's doing OK for a few days then it gets bad again.
This has caused him to be blind in the eye. The last 2 days the eye has been glued shut in the morning.
I've been putting triple antibiotic in the eye and warshing his face with water with a little white vinegar in it.
i hate to butcher him, but if it keeps up that will be our next choice of treatment.
Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
One of my doe's early litters had a few kits that developed nest box eye, which sounds very much the same kind of infection as your buck has. I too treated it for quite some time and it would seem to improve and then get worse again. It seemed to me that perhaps I was irritating it with the treatment: cleaning with distilled water on a cotton ball and then putting human antibiotic eye ointment in the eye. The vet would not prescribe without an office visit and I couldn't see paying that much for rabbits destined for the freezer in just a few weeks. It never did entirely clear up and we butchered a little early if I remember right.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We are having the same problem with a new buck we got about 2 weeks ago.
One eye is just nasty no other words for it. We have treated him with meds. and notting got worse,
So someone told me to wash his eye out with broax <sp> and water mixed and it would clear up. Has anyone else used this idea?
I really hope that someone can give us and answer Squash :)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The picture of the eye on this web page where it says to remove the eye may be his problem.
ttp://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm
I've been fighting this for more than a month. i got rid of another buck becuase I thought his eye had gotten better. Looks like I'll need another jr. buck. I have a senior buck I can use.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
SquashNut, you left out the h at the beginning of the URL. Should be:

http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm

(Correction is just to make it easier for others to get there.)

A really good website by the look of it and I've bookmarked it... but it has a major "yuck" factor, doesn't it? If you have another buck you can use, maybe you should just cull this one. How contagious is something like this?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did cull him. It must not be too contagious, this has been going on for quite awhile and no one else has shown any symptoms.
If any one in north Idaho Has a California Buck let me know.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
It's too bad, SquashNut, but you probably did the right thing under the circumstances.

HaysFarm, borax and water is an old remedy. It is mentioned in a book I have from the early 1940s. I hadn't heard of it at the time the kits had the problem or I might have tried it. The book is British and refers to making "boracic lotion" by dissolving one teaspoon of boracic crystals in a half a pint of warm water. I think that would be half an Imperial pint or 10 fluid ounces instead of 8. I have no idea how well this works and truth to tell, I had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
SquashNut, was that the buck your DH's friend wanted to borrow? One more reason NOT to loan or rent a buck. He's have been pretty annoyed if his does had come down with a similar infection.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like dumb ol' bacterial conjunctivitis, easily treated in humans with gentamycin eye drops. My horse has it & kittens. Cleared up nice with the gentamycin drops I had left over from my own "pink eye" last year. :angel:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Turkeyfether said:
Sounds like dumb ol' bacterial conjunctivitis, easily treated in humans with gentamycin eye drops. My horse has it & kittens. Cleared up nice with the gentamycin drops I had left over from my own "pink eye" last year. :angel:
That would be a prescription antibiotic, wouldn't it? I don't know about how things are in the United States, but here in Ontario that would be $35 - $50 for the vet visit plus the cost of the drug... likely that much again. Of course, it helps if you have leftovers in your medicine cabinet...

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
HaysFarm said:
Thanks Maggie,
So it's not and out there idea. Might have to try it. At least someone else has heard of it.
I did a little Googling and found out a few things. Borax contains boracic acid (AKA boric acid) but it also contains soda and should not be used therapeutically as a substitute for the pure substance.

Boracic lotion was used mainly before antibiotics became available. I could not find much advocating its use today except in emergency situations when a medical professional cannot be consulted. It's all antibiotics these days.

Here's a link that may be interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
I found that the sterile saline solution sold in pint bottles for contact lense wearers to be a wonderful cleansing agent for eyes and ears. It is gentle and pH balanced. I have been using an antibiotic eye drop that the vet made available for my dog in the one does eye-- seems to be helping, as well as the Duramycin injections for real issue-- an abcess--

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
You should be able to buy boric acid powder at drug stores without a prescription (unless it is no longer available quite recently). We've used this for years for goopy eyes in people and animals and it seems to work fine. I believe the recipe for making it up into a solution is on the container. (It's been a while...)

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Thanks GrannyCarol. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually used it successfully. Seems to me that now and again antibiotics let us down because the bacteria have become resistant through incorrect or over use. Not to mention that people like me who are allergic to most of them really don't like using them on animals we will eventually be eating. One reason I am trying to raise my own meat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts