eye infection???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, Jun 27, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Sat morning a neighbor brought me a newborn doeling whose mom had rejected her and I've had her on a bottle.....she is doing GREAT in ALL ways but ONE. She was born during the night and has bumps on her her head (mostly her ears) like she got into fire ants and one of her eyes is closed most of the time. She can open it, and does some parts of the day, but most of the time doesnt and it gets kinda crusty. We've been wiping it with a wet rag but was wondering if there was anything we could put in the eye in case this is an infection of some sorts.

Thank you for your help (you guys know everything),

Joy

2. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Use triple antibiotic ointment like neosporin (I use a generic brand) a small dab in the eye 2X a day. Two of my goats had pinkeye and it cleared that up in 3 days. triple antibiotic ointment is good for any eye infection.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

terrimyicin if you can find it. They sell it at the local coop here

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't sound like this is the problem, but with problems in newborn eyes you should also check to be sure the lower eyelid is not turning in.
    mary

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Strong Chamomille tea, cooled of course, can be used to clean the eye, it is soothing and has antibiotic properties. If not then the opthalmic triple antibiotic should work. I'd use some Aveeno cream on the ears, if I suspected ant bites.

6. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Thanks Everybody!!!!