extremely hot to touch dryer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by nobs, Aug 16, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

I have a heavy duty Frigidaire dryer. It gets very hot when it runs. I pulled it out today to sweep under it and there is a brown spot on the back of it. It looks like where it has gotten too hot. Like a burn spot. What is wrong with it? Can I fix it? It is vented outside and the vent and hose are clean.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I believe you will find a bimetal switch mounted to sense the stream of the hot air. This switch should open when the temperature reaches a predetermined temp. IMO, you switch has failed. Go here and type in your specific info and the repair help area will walk you through the repair.
    http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

UNSAFE to use til you get it repaired!!!!!

4. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

One more question. When the dryer is running and I open the door, it is glowing red in the back. Is this normal?

5. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

:confused: :bash: :soap:

YOU'ALL BETTER LISTEN TO WHAT Esteban29304 has already said@##%%$#@!!! THIS UNIT IS UNSAFE - DON'T USE IT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED@!!! :stars:

NO........IT IS NOT SAFE AND NO.....IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR THE BACK TO BE GLOWING RED.....YOU HAVE A MAJOR FIRE JUST WAITING TO HAPPEN!!! :eek:

DISCONNECT THE POWER AND GET THE PART(S) TO FIX IT BEFORE ANYTHING TRAGIC HAPPENS.....WE CAN'T AFFORD TO LOOSE ANYMORE HOMESTEADERS.....Please.....Heed the good advice that has already been given......

6. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Hey ... that's a great site. Thanks for the link.