Extracting aloe gel

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sarah K., Nov 23, 2003.

1. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

I've got a bunch of aloe that broke off of one of my plants, and I'd like to extract the gel rather than letting it go to waste. I've been squeezing the leaves against the rim of a mason jar, but while that gets the juice, it doesn't seem to get most of the gel. What is the best way to get the gel out? Also, once I've extracted the gel, what is the best way to store it? Does it need to be refrigerated or frozen?
    Thanks in advance!

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Boy, I'd love to know too...I bought a small,4"potted plant, 10 years ago, and now it's in a 20 gallon pot. It needs to be split into about 5 plants, but I'd love to make gel, too...
    lacyj

3. Ed

Ed Member

4. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Nothing to do so I found this for you. From another web site. http://www.kcweb.com/herb/aloevera.htm Part Used: Aloe vera "extract" is made by pulverizing the whole leaves of the plant. Aloe juice is made from the inner leaf.

Common Use: Aloe supplements can be used for peptic ulcers and for gastro-intestinal health. Aloe has a moisturizing effect on the skin and is a common remedy for sunburn and skin irritation. Often used direct form the flowerpot in the treatment of minor burns and wounds. To make a salve; remove the thin outer skin and process the leaves in a blender, add 500 units of vitamin C powder to each cup and store in refrigerator.

5. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

The way we use it is slice off the outer skin and just rub the inner side onto the skin / wound. No extraction needed - just apply as needed.

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Use as needed... cut/split, squeeze, etc.... wrap remaining leaf in foil, refrigerate.

Of course, I KNOW that works with ONE leaf.. not sure how long they'll last in fridge. Not much help here, I guess. I would IMAGINE that it is rather 'self preservative" in a way??? Since it's so full of 'goodies'.

I DO have several store bought bottles of 100% aloe vera gel. I do nothing with them but let them sit at room temp. Over a year old.. and they are fine.

7. Sarah K.

Sarah K. Well-Known Member

Actually, the leaves have been sitting in the fridge for quite some time now, and I'm really suprised at how well they're keeping. Maybe that's the easy answer! I might try processing some in the blender, just to see how that comes out.
    Thanks, everyone, for your help!

8. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Ooooops! I see on my 'bottles'of storebought.. there ARE preservatives.

If I were 'blending' tho.. I'd leave off the green part???