Extra cold winter ahead?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JBourne76, Aug 28, 2006.

1. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

2. Chris in PA

Chris in PA Well-Known Member

In cleaning up the gardens I have found 3-4 wooly caterpillers and all of them have been black from tip to tail. Good thing we have a whole lot of wood cut and split.

My question is - Will it be cold and snowy or just cold?

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Thank goodness! We're hoping for a late frost followed by a vicious winter.

We need some real cold this year to kill off the oversupply of insects we have after last year's mild winter.

It would also be nice to get some real snow on the ground so we can get moisture into the soil. Right now we're alternating between baked earth and rains so hard and fast that they run right off. We just aren't getting the soil moisture level replenished with the rains we do have and the downpours on baked earth can't be good for the topsoil.

I'm willing to wear triple and quadruple layers this winter if the land benfits.

Lynda

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We could use a good cold winter here as well.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've devoted my entire lifetime viewing the weather here in the midwest. I find most predictions are correct about half the time. Most of them are based on things such a worms, and other people's woodpiles. The only absolute I can count on from year to year, is that on an overall average, it is colder in the winter than it is in the summer!

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Um. Original poster. You live in NORTH FLORIDA!!! What are you worried about? :)

Up here in northern VERMONT, we have been experiencing FALL WEATHER in mid August! Yes, I am expecting a brutal weather. I may go get myself a 4-wheel or all-drive vehicle now. Temps are in the 50s today...got the fireplace going. We've cut a lot of wood for our furnace and fireplace, but we need more.

Blessings, Jillis!

7. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Great! I hope I can sled with the kids with more than the one decent snow we had the last winter I was home. Bet we build a few snow men/woman also.

8. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"This isn't what I wanted to hear. "

You live in N. Fla. and you're worried about a cold winter??? No sympathy from me...

9. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We need a good, cold winter here as well. The mosquitos were awful this summer because it wasn't cold enough, long enough last winter. Bring it on!

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Probably worried about his oarnge trees freezing I imagine.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't know & I don't really think that the Farmer's Almanac is really that accurate for the whole country. We had a very mild winter & a warmer than usual spring, with much less rainfall than usual. We've had a dry summer untill lately. Now we are having thunderstorms in August.Is it unusual? Maybe. We had 2 inches of rain here Sat. Nite.

12. Lisa B.

Lisa B. Member

We live in Alabama (fairly mild winters - temps usually in the teens to mid 30's), but I still worry when they predict a colder winter. I have a different outlook.

1.) A lot of you are used to winter temps in the negatives and are equiped/ used to it. We are not. When we have snow here, there are major road problems because we aren't equiped nor know how to drive in it (no snow chains, plows, no extra weather protection for the animals ect...) just as alot of you arent used to the humidity we put up with in the summer. So although a few degrees colder to you may not mean anything, to us it seems unbearable.
    2.) Because our winters tend to be milder, alot of people I know choose to heat with propane or electric as the wood is messier, more work, higher ins cost and often it is not cold enough to light a wood stove. Thus a colder winter would mean more $$$$$ to pay for the extra propane/electric (which is already around $2.59 a gallon here :( ).
    3.) We don't have the thermal barriers you have either. If a cold spell (snow - even just 2 inches. There is a joke around here about you know you have a blizzard in Alabama if the snow sticks :lol: ) shuts down everything. The electricity is out, lots of pipes freeze and burst (insulated to our states code) schools closed, roads closed ect...... You would probably laugh at how ill-equiped some of the southern states are for colder weather, but it isn't something we have to deal with often, but when we do-it is a true problem.
    4.) We see a lot more sickness due to our bodies not being used to the change.
    5.) As stated earlier we have plants/trees that are very tempermental and cold weather can cause a great loss.

So regardless of where you live, colder than normal weather for your area can cause all kinds of problems.

13. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I envy you! Not only would I like to live in the NorthEast, but it is about 85-90 today and is muggy! I would love 50 degree weather right now.
    Go ahead and enjoy! :)

14. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

I've noticed the woolies here are mostly black too. We're in good shape as far as wood goes this year but I need to get busy stocking my pantry. Has anyone notices the Cedar trees this year? I've never seen them so loaded with seeds.
    The Hazelnut picking was a success but we left them outside..got busy with something else... and the chipmunks had a feast. Hopefully when we go back to pick there will be some left. The Hopps trees were loaded too. It was fun watching the birds go for the seeds.
    November 15th last year we were hit with a major snowstorm. Lost our power for 3 days. I always dreamed of getting snowed in with DH and being cut off from the world for a few days....HA! He was at camp with his brothers and I was home with a very pregnant daughter while her better half was at his camp.
    We stayed warm and our bellies full. It's nice to have a woodcook stove.
    I'm ready to settle in for the winter.....

15. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

Twenty degrees is cold! Heck 30 degrees is cold for that matter. I realize it's colder in other places but cold is cold.

And yeah, we use propane. Over $200 to fill the tank and in Jan.-Feb. we'll use more than one tank in a month. Not good. Break out the sweats and hooded jackets!

As for dad's orange trees, he'll just turn the sprinkler on them until they freeze and they'll be fine.

16. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I good freeze would be good here as well....get rid of some of these danged ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

We need a good cold winter here too! :)
    I always heard that heavy a blackberry year meant a cold winter. It was a heavy blackberry year here.

veme

18. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't be colder, Al Gore told me all about global warming and growing palm trees and kooky nuts in Ky. Besides, what would the farmers almanac know, they burn ahhhhhhhhhhh carbon based fuels. Runnnnnnnnnnnnnn Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

19. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Snicker. When it is mid-winter here and it hits 20 to 30 degrees ABOVE zero it actually feels balmy to us.

Cold is when you walk outside and the the hairs in your nostrils crinkle as they instantly freeze. Snowshoeing up the hill with buckets of hot water for the goats is a blast!

20. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

I would love a cold, cold winter to kill off the mosquitoes. We have three cases of eastern equine encephalitis within a few miles of here and I'd hate to see anyone else get it.