Extinct dinosaur (carpooling) coming back to life.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 6, 2005.

1. Some of you maynot be old enough to remember this but when I was a kid a lot of factory workers done what they called carpooling. Virtually extinct now but maybe coming back to existance due to the rising gas prices. Which is now $2.25 gal. around here.

Just wondering if anyone is starting to do it yet? I know it's not very convienent when you have to ask everyone in the vehicle "Hey, you people mind if we stop at the grocery store right fast so I can get something for our supper tonight?" Or, "Hey you people don't mind if we stop at the dentist this evening, I have a 4 O'clock appointment?"

I had 3 uncles who carpooled 120 miles round trip each day for 20 to 30 years to work in a steel factory.

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Carpooling has allways thrived in the DC area, only we call it SLUG riding here. I haven't got a clue as to how it got that name. People will take transit to commuter hubs, then hold out a sign with their destination by the curb. Passengers get a free ride, and drivers can use the HOV lanes. It's been around since the DC metro was built, from what I understand. I've looked into conventional carpooling, but I'm too far out in the boondocks for that. I keep hoping that they will bring light rail to my area, but I'll be long gone before that ever happens.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Yep ------- Big Kid just started pooling with a young man. Gas prices mighta finally got through his skull; they drive about 90 miles/day.

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Been carpooling for a couple months now. I pay for the first tank of gas for the week. Cut my weekly mileage from 600 to 25. Monthly gas bill from 200+ to 100. If we could get a third and fourth, it'd be like riding for free.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't know carpooling was extinct. In the 80s I carpooled with three other people to downtown Detroit. The driver was a biochemist for Stroh's beer, one worked in the Federal Bankruptcy Court, one was a secretary, and I was a sales secretary.

Now, I carpool to knitting guild meetings with two other ladies. We also carpool when travelling to special events.

6. Well I really don't know about everywhere else but around here virtually no one car pools anymore. The last time I worked where there was a large amount of employees was at a hospital. Although there were about a half a dozen people from out around here where I live that worked there, none of us carpooled. My wife works in a factory right now and the reason she doesn't carpool with anyone is cause she is on a different line then most others from here and works different hours.

7. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Well, my Steve has been wanting a couple of riders up to Louisville for a long time now. Construction workers. I don't know what we are going to do if it keeps going up, it's scary now. Trouble is no one wants to work. This company starts them off at $10 an hour just cleaning up the site, more if they have experience. They work on very large buildings, new contruction and remodeling big office complexes. Remodel is popular now. Everyone he's tried has not worked out, they are too lazy, say it's too hard. :waa: These guys are allot younger than Steve.

We got him a new truck to help with the gas, a 2001 Dodge Ram full size pickup, plain truck. $200 a month, no down, no trade-in. It does get good mileage, but he drives 3+ hours a day just getting there and back, and then sometimes around to the different sites. We looked hard for a Dodge diesel, but the price difference was astounding. We kept the 93 Dodge truck for a good farm truck, it was way too good to trade in, but a gas guzzler for Louisville and back.

We have worked hard our whole lives, no $ from goverment, no unemployment, pay all our taxes, and now we're not going to be able to afford gas for him to go to work! This is crazy. He's got to find someone from down here to hire on and split gas. They asked for 4 day, 10 hour days, but it won't work, too many job sites, and too many people to supervise. He loves his job, loves the company, and loves to go to work, he's been with them a long time and runs a crew now. I'm thinking about putting an add in the paper maybe. ?

8. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

Dh has car pooled on every job he's had. Usually no money is exchanged they just take turns driving. If at the odd times someone has an appointment after work they drive their own car that day. Sometimes he's car pooled with 3 other guys, sometimes 1 or 2 but every little bit helps. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your car as well as saving gas money. Its worked well for the last 30 years anyway.

9. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Jump on the handlebars & lets go!
    With the time change, and my 8pm-8am schedule, I'll finally be able to start pedaling to work (10mi round trip) again, tonight. Weather permitting.
    Think I can make a buck with a rickshaw service?
    I shoulda kept the donkey & the sulky... may have to do something with this draft tabby...
    In answer to your query. Not enough workers headed my way. Half the county unemployed, & unless folks know you well, your not getting a ride here.

10. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

I have spent most of my working life in carpools. I am currently living in Virginia and "slug" in to Washington every day. I think slugging is the best thing since sliced bread. It is so convenient. I don't have to be at a certain point at a certain time like you would with a carpool. I just leave my house when I am ready and drive to the commuter lot. I get in line for a ride and when it is my turn, I hop in the next car that needs a passenger to ride on the HOV. Doesn't cost me anything and the driver is happy they can save an hour on their commute by being able to ride in the HOV lanes. I hope to see this catch on a lot more around the country. It is a win/win for everyone but, of course, it only works if they have HOV lanes.

Hey Wandering Oak, where in Virginia are you located? I'm in Stafford and slug from the Rt. 610 lot. I suspect you are close to me since there aren't too many areas that have slug lines.

Colleen

11. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I live out in Front Royal and commute to Reston :rolleyes: . Like I said, I can forget about carpooling from home. No jobs out my way, and I can't afford to live closer in. There is a commuter lot in Linden, but nobody is going my way. All I know about SLUGing is what I read in the papers and hear on the radio. I work from 6-2:30, so i can avoid most of the madness thanks to my schedule.

12. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad carried 3-4 young secretaries in his car pool back in the 50s who found the DC to VA bus lines excessively tardy for their apartment to Dept Of Agriculture commute.. He left the house at 7 15 and didn't get home till 6. My mom either carpooled with someone in her agency or took the bus.

I have taken the Tri Rail here and there in South FL but my job description requires me to have a reliable late model car. I am glad I am no longer on the road, but the field nurses had their mileage taken away about a year ago and replaced with a standard "bonus" regardless of miles driven - wehich I knew was nowhwere near sufficient- when I was a field nurse I would sometimes drive 400 miles in a week! Well, one of the staffers just took the annual bonus amount, subtracted taxes and figured that at 34.5 cents a mile figure, staff were being reimbursed for about 22 miles weekly. This nurse LIVES about 30 miles from the Hospice offices, and I know she drives a lot more than 22 miles weekly.

I am waiting to see how many other people figure it out...

When I worked at 2 nursing homes in town I sometimes road my bike to work...never night shift however.

13. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I carpool to get to Guard drill once a month, but if the guy I ride with isn't going to be there for some reason, I load up my bike and stay the weekend since it's a two hour ride from here. They have commuter ride share vans around here as well that always have a long wait list for the people that go back and forth from the big city to here and several companies have made arrangement with the local bus system. They provide all their employess with bus passes and in exchange for the large influx of revenue, the bus gives the company a cheaper rate and extended a line right out to them.