Exterior Door Overhang

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cindy in NY, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We need to replace the small overhang outside our back door. Has anyone built one? Anyone know of a website with plans? Any hints? Can we just buy one pre-made?

2. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

How fancy does it need to be? I saw one someplace made out of a pick-up truck hood. Not too fancy but it worked. You might be a redneck if ... Oh never mind :rolleyes:

3. liveswithinlogs

liveswithinlogs Member

You've an existing set of full scale plans consisting of your current one. You'll need to deconstruct it to replace it, if you're happy with it's looks and design just copy it. Awnings and the like can be purchased but don't possess much charm or beauty. Do it yourself and the end result will be exactly as you want it to be. Take a drive around town and look at others to get some design ideas. Good luck, and have fun. :)

4. Cindy in NY

LOL! No it would need to be a bit fancier than that! We have a 100 year old Victorian. The existing one is a flat piece angled with the lowest edge parallel to the door with two side support arms. The arms at at different angles in order to open the door. It's quite ugly especially in its current state of disrepair!

Once the weather clears, I'll try to get a pic of a neighbor's overhang that would be ideal for us. It is a V shape with the lowest edges above and to the sides of the door. What we're really not sure about is how to support and attach it to the house since it has no visible support.

5. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

This Sounds Like What I Want For Awnings For Two Windows On My South Side Of The House.......hope You Get Some More Responses!

Mum

6. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

What about a pergola or something simple like that?

7. Cindy in NY

A pergola wouldn't work as we need a solid roof to get under to knock off the snow (if it ever comes!). Also, we don't want anything with uprights from the ground up to the roof because it's tight as it is getting things through this door and around the immediate corner into the basement.

8. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Not sure exactly what you are looking for. This is what DH and I did on our house so that we would have a bit of cover.

[​IMG]

Eventually I'll be putting in a trellis that matches the door, and a white picket fence and lots of planters to make it have much more curb appeal.

Right now it does not look like much, but we are getting there.

[​IMG]

Cathy

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member