Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the marketing the history of this? You used to see it A LOT in peoples yards.

I am wondering is this a regional thing or some sort of promotional material, but WHY would people put these things in their yard!!! It seems so perverse!:ashamed:

Attachments

Reactions: mrs whodunit

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Humor depends on your point of view. Example; you are walking across the yard, step on a rake and it hits you in a sensitive area. Not funny to you right? But for most people would break out laughing.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Anyone know the marketing the history of this? You used to see it A LOT in peoples yards.

I am wondering is this a regional thing or some sort of promotional material, but WHY would people put these things in their yard!!! It seems so perverse!:ashamed:
They are decoys for kids with bb guns :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
It was supposed to depict the homeowners gardening. It was originally placed in front of nice garden beds.

I have a bad knee and bend at the waist until I realized the honking cars were honking at my posterior. When they started hollering thank you's out the window I decided to get myself a little rolling seat to sit on instead of bending over while working in the front yard. They've expressed their displeasure with my new seat. LOL

·
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just don't get it. When I'm gardening I wear knee pads and stand on my knees, much better for your back! I would never spend money or make such a thing.

...and why would you want these in your yard, even by a nice garden, that is like the plastic spinning daisy flowers that would turn in the wind people used to buy....
(I heard they keep gophers away)
I guess a different generation had a different view, as I've only seen these ornaments in old folks yards. (90+) But I am unable to ask them, since they all passed by now. :/

Reactions: DamnearaFarm

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
It is humous and not new at all.
here is the same thing showing husband and wife in a Garden bending over.

And here a Artist Rendiction of the same thing.

1885 Peasant Woman Bending Over black chalk & wash on paper
Artist: Vincent van Gogh

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I think that the images may be considered tacky by some but to me it says,

be grateful you can still bend over

in the old days, 40 or more years ago women wore slips that sometimes
showed, hence the term "it's snowing down south" and lastly

this couple stayed together and were working together in their advanced
years.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Love love love Van Gogh!

People with bad knees or knee replacements don't kneel, they bend over

I find them tacky….would rather have the flamingos.
Had a fraternity in town who collected flamingos. Must have had about 50.
They dressed them for the seasons…little scarves for winter, straw hats for summer, etc.
When you have about 50 it becomes a fun thing.
People would drive by to see what they had on. Even made the paper.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I have a friend whose garden is replete with cowboy boots filled with flowers, welded horse shoes, ceramic frogs, etc etc etc. I have none of those yet enjoy going to her place where every thing is a story. Humor rules. It's like an amusement park. I even have a period of withdrawal when I head back to my straight forward flower beds.
But for all the enjoyment I get from her place, I never attempt to do the same.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
The folks who put up that sort of thing think it's humorous. I'm not offended, and also not hurt by the image portrayed, but I can imagine there are people who are.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Probably someone like me who cannot draw hands and faces. Van Gogh could draw both. I do like the dark animal figures but do not own any.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts