Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experiences they can relate over homemade solar panels made from the "bargain" solar cells off ebay or other places. If the "box" is constructed well and weather tight, do they otherwise produce and last as well as equivalent factory panel? I have seen the handful web postings how people have made them, but they never give any followup as to performance/longevity.

·
Brian w
160 Posts
it all depends on the quilty of the builder ours lasted 9 months but the cells were free and the builders were kids. we also made a homemade cell from scratch

·
Registered
713 Posts
it all depends on the quilty of the builder ours lasted 9 months but the cells were free and the builders were kids. we also made a homemade cell from scratch
I could Google making a cell from scratch but I would love to hear your experience if you don't mind. Thanks.

·
Voice of Reason
53,255 Posts
Anybody have any experiences they can relate over homemade solar panels made from the "bargain" solar cells off ebay or other places. If the "box" is constructed well and weather tight, do they otherwise produce and last as well as equivalent factory panel? I have seen the handful web postings how people have made them, but they never give any followup as to performance/longevity.
That's what I did. I more or less followed this page as a guide.

http://www.mdpub.com/SolarPanel/index.html

Here's the finished product (60 watt panel).

I haven't had it long enough to know how it will stand up to weather, but I suspect that the factory panels are superior. Still, the price is right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts