Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Seriously?
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toilets wont flush properly, and bubble when anything else (washer/ sinks /tubs)-- drain. Had this problem in october and it ended up being a blockage just before the tank itself, after the "T" in our line... we have bathrooms at opposite sides of the house, and know when only one side is blocked, its before the "T" and if both have problems, its after. This time however poses more problems as the tank lid is stuck under 6 inches of packed ice and snow. its COLD here in Michigan. I've considered several options... building a fire ( which someone mentioned could crack the cement tank or lid, not to mention melting the handle) pouring hot water ( which would obviously freeze again) or maybe spreading a pile of rock salt there... My concern with that would be of course the salt falling in when the lid was removed... I'd absolutely remove as much as possible, but I'm working in a confined area with mounds of snow around it. Then someone mentioned it might not be a complete blockage, rather some back up that froze... and I could have a frozen pipe instead of a blocked one. If thats the case... would hot water down the drains work? or in the toilet? is there anythign to melt ice in the pipes that wont upset the tank balance? any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I.S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not an expericed or professional septic person, just some thoughts: Can you see your vent pipe on the roof? Is it clear of snow and ice? Could be vent pipe is starting to freeze up a little. Pehaps some electrical heat tape wrapped around the vent pipe in the attic might help if you could do so safely.
I would not prour HOT water down the toliet and risk cracking the bowl, maybe some warm, or leave a hot water faucet run at low for a period of time to see if it improves.

I put in a riser on my septic last summer exactly for the issue your facing, run about $125 and raised the lid up 24 inches. This way I am not digging in frozen ground to try to find it and uncover it. Might want to consider come spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
PS Two years ago I did have a bird fall in my vent during winter, found out when I ran a toliet snake and came back with wings and feathers. Had same symptoms as your getting now.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
You won't be able to put enough hot water down to do any good. If you could than a long hot shower would solve the problem.

Check the vent pipe and you could have it roto rootered from there. That should clear out blockage or ice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are getting gurgling sounds from other drains then you definately have a venting problem. As others have mention, you should check your main vent on the roof to make sure its clear. You said you have bathrooms on both ends of your home, Do both have vents? You might try putting in a vent in your main line after the wye to help vent air to the system by using a wye and a 45 degree fitting to bring it up out of the ground. Make it tall enough to account for the normal snow depth. Use a cap drilled with holes to cover end of pipe. If your plugging up in the same general area consistly then maybe cleanouts further up both lines are in order. That way you could run a snake down in any weather by just removing a cap. Build the same way you build the vent mentioned before without holes in the cap. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a rat burrow into my vent when it dropped below freezing one year.
I think he still froze and as vapor tried to get past it just built more ice around his carcase.
When I ran the snake it pulled back hair and frozen rodent parts, then started flowing normal.
Rock

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My first guess is a vent pipe blockage.. as others have said. Another possiblity is if you have unused drains (sink, bath tub) where the water may have evaporated and left a dry trap. I have a bath that is rarely used and have to remember to run water down the drains periodically or I get gurgling and sewer gas odor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts