Experience with composting toilets?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jun 8, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Any one out there have experience with composting toilets? Mine is a biolet delux and I have continous problems with excess fluid. Have tried all kinds of things and am now thinking about installing a perm drain. but then that is similar to having a septic system and i dont want to go in that direction. Just wondered if anyone has one that works good?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I decided in favor of sawdust toilet after seeing how much trouble other people have with the composting ones. Can some of the adults in the family pee somewhere else? I would consider adding a sawdust toilet or even a urinal for the guys. If there is less liquid going in it should solve the problem.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Clivus Multrum good (also very pricey), others not so good. I still have a SunMar setting around that my now ex insisted on. It was such a pain to clean out. I really need to clean it up nice and shiney and sell it to somebody else that just has to have one.

My notion is saw dust bucket toilet (peat moss works better than sawdust) or non-pit Irish/Chinese type outhouse is way to go.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

HermitJohn, Some people have to use a NSF approved composting toilet in order to pass building code officials. That doesn't mean you have to keep it afterwards. You might be able to sell it for at least half price if it is in good condition. Maybe on ebay?

5. sisterpine

You are right this is a NSF approved toilet! But I am darned determined to make it work for me, the very last thing i will do before I shoot the darn thing is admit to my DH that I was wrong! Thanks

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

People with lots of trees shouldn't have too much liquid in their in house toilet.

7. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

I have an Envirolet and modified it.http://ecovita.net/products.html I used the privy kit and made a nice unit. I had the same problem with too much moisture but now it works fine. Yea, and my trees stay watered all year round....

8. sisterpine

Okay so you are piping the urine outside to the trees is that correct? We are talking urine only not sludge water?

9. sisterpine

sounds good to me if i cant get it to behave i will permantly drain the liquid someplace

10. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

11. sisterpine

I had no idea this book was on the web! Had one years ago and lost it during a move. Thanks so much!