experience with an epileptic cat?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by cindyc, Jul 17, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

The runt of our litter is at the vet just now. She seems to have had a seizure. Can cats have epiliepsy? Anybody have any experience with cats and seizures?

Thanks,
    Cindyc.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

No not cats ,But We used to have A dog that used to have them, The Vet said to give Dilatim? once A day to help control them, Also we would give him A tylinol as per the vets instruction when he would have one. Other than that All we could do was keep an eye on him. And hold him when he would have A fit. Bye the way The pup was A Pekenese , I hope this helps...

3. Looking4ewes

Looking4ewes Well-Known Member

Hi Cindyc,

I've had much experience with an epileptic dog but only one with a cat. Seizures in cats is very rare. My neighbors cat starting seizing after being lost for a month and he was managed on phenobarbital. After several months, he was weaned off the drug and has been seizure free for many years.

Since this is a very young kitten, a diagnosis of epilepsy is premature. Seizures can be caused by many, many things. Since this kitten is so young and the runt, he could have many systemic issues he is dealing with. I would caution against vaccines and wormers at this time, since those could affect an immuno-compromised animal to it's detrement. Your vet would be able to advise you best at this time. Good luck. Also, a website that has much information about seizures is www.canine-epilepsy.com. At one time, the webmistress had an epileptic cat, so she would be a wealth of information.

ps. to James: I believe that Tylenol is toxic to dogs. Asprin is safe, if needed. FWIW, a seizing animal is unconsious and feels no pain.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

That was what the Vet said to use ,That was 30 years ago though.

5. wolfheart23

wolfheart23 Well-Known Member

How did the vet visit go? Or is she still there? How old is the kitten? I've been a vet tech for almost 13 years, and I have seen less than a half dozen cats with seizure disorders in that time. Seizures in a kitten can be more worrisome than when they develop in an adult. I hope this is an isolated occurance. Please give us an update when you are able.

6. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Well, she is home. They observed her for a whole day and she never had another one. They said she was "sweet, but precotious"... They drew her blood to do labs. We do not have the results of those labs. They said it could have been a "one time thing" but we don't know yet.

She is acting pretty "normal". Got up immediately after the episode and started to play.

She is 12 weeks old, so she is young, but not newborn.

Thanks for asking,
    Cindy

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Well, they said they think she has LOW BLOOD SUGAR!!! :shrug:

8. wolfheart23

wolfheart23 Well-Known Member

Wow! Didn't think of that! I've seen several different toy breed dogs that will seizure if they get hypoglycemic, but did't think of it in a cat. What did they suggest?

9. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

We had a cat like that. She peed in her bed...or in mine, or on the couch, or wherever her bed happened to be. She also fell from wherever she was sleeping, when she had a fit...one down a stairwell.

10. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

They gave her a tube of something that is an appetite stimulant plus vitmins and minerals to try to "bulk her up". She is pretty tiny. I guess it has extra glucose and protein in it, too?

They did say that it still could be something more serious, but the tests looked good so far.

I just didn't have any idea that low blood sugar could cause such a thing...

Oh, well, I guess considering what it could have been, I will take it.

Cindyc.