Exide Battery charger-Need help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Stephen in SOKY, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I have an Exide brand large wheeled battery charger/booster. I was charging on 40A and decided to switch to 60A boost. When I did something popped in the charger, not an explosion or anything. Now the fan runs but I can't charge. Is there a reset I can't find? A fuse I could replace? Any way to "Reset" it? Hate to replace, the larger ones are expensive! Thanks in advance, Stephen

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have one of those large chargers and I have been inside it for repairs but not recently. I do not recall there being a fuse or reset. Access is simple, just remove the external screws in the main cover and the entire sides and top come off with the working parts remaining inside. I get a hard thud sound if I change settings with the cables connected to a battery. The problem that I have found to be common to these chargers is the selium rectifier. This is a cheap component that fails regularly. To correct this problem I install large rectifiers removed from electric fork trucks. I saw these for sale on ebay a while back for around $10. If you substitute in this manner make certain that you install a large heat sink. Once converted, the chargers become very dependable and do a terrific charge. The output is significant enough to "wake up" a battery that heretofore would not charge.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SCR-POWER-HEAT-...yZ100184QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Welder-S...QQihZ003QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Thanks Agmantoo, I'll tear into it, although I'm afraid the replacements you mention may be beyond my capabilities. Just my luck, it seems there may be no simple fix on this one. Thanks again, Stephen