exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by motdaugrnds, Jan 20, 2005.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have a very old 1978 Ford Pickup that is my work truck. I desparately need an exhaust manifuld for the passenger side. The engine is a large V8 351 M

My mechanic tells me they are not made anymore and that he needs a used one. He has not been able to find one. Can anyone advise me as to how to locate one over the internet?

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

1. eBay
    2. Google search for 'auto salvage yards online' (about 92,500 results)

BTW - Did your mechanic say WHY you need another manifold?
    I'm guesing it's cracked ... and cracked manifolds can be repaired by someone competent in welding/brazing.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Try something like this. Used Auto Parts or ones with the word Online in them.

Junk yards are hooked together in a big parts locater scheme, you can get just about anything. Many places now tear the vehicle apart and the parts are in bins with bar codes on them. Gone very modern. Many of these sites have the On Line locator / quoter available directly.

http://www.salvageyardparts.net/ser.htm

He is right cast iron can be welded / brazed. The trick is to know to preheat / post heat the entire item, the thin stuff like a manifold is probably best brazed. A replacement is the prime choice but a repair could be the fall back position.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I know this is gonna cost more than you probably want to spend, but if you can't find a used manifold, you can always look into the installation of new headers. (You could have one hot rod pickup with the right headers).

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

www.car-part.com

I did the search and cheapest is $15 plus shipping. When you do the search look for the page with the asterisk, that page will have the cheapest price. The ones on first page are shockingly high priced. just ignore them. Note I did nationwide search, if you limit search to particular area, results may differ.....

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Have YOU tried to locate a new one. NAPA carries a large selection of exhaust manifolds as do many parts stores. They used to be dealer items only, and Ford probably discontinued that part, but many aftermarket companies have started selling manifolds. There are also compamies that sell just about every part to restore that truck.

7. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I vote for the headers... and a mild cam ... and ... hey, if you're gonna have a V8, its gotsta sound like a V8!

1978 is "very old" ??? I suppose it is old, which only means I'm getting old.

cheers,