Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved in with my Grandma, who has a little Havanese. She rarely walks her, so I have taken on that responsibility. I don't know much about little dogs, and am sort of concerned about taking her out when it's really cold outside. Would a good doggie-sweater suffice? When is it just too cold to take her out? I also don't want to take her out in this snow we've recently gotten here in Seattle. We've got about 6 inches on the ground and that's higher than her legs! Any ideas on how to exercise her inside?

Thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can decide what she can stand based on her reaction to the cold. If she shivers, she needs a sweater. If she picks up her feet and hops around, she needs booties. I would say below 0 is too cold for her to be out for very long. (Say 1/2 hour max, and less the colder it gets) She might have a tough time walking in snow deeper than she is tall though! Anywhere you can take her where it's been shoveled?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If she seems cold I would do a sweater. Since the temps are going to be running above freezing now I wouldn't worry other than trying to pack the snow down where she is walking. We got around 16in. total in our yard but at least our dogs are larger. We do watch carefully for signs of getting cold since one of them is very short haired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll have to wait til the snow melts so I can get to a store and get a sweater and maybe some booties for her. I live at the top of a hill in Seattle and driving conditions are pretty bad right now. Don't think I'll have much luck finding a shoveled area... we're pretty bad about that here in Sea-town.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
LOL....this is kind of funny. We have snow for months at a time and still keep dogs here in MN. Believe it or not but most dogs actually enjoy the snow. Don't be surprised if you take her out in it and she starts acting like a dog and runs all over the place enjoying herself.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I think you are being overly cautious. I have a Boston Terrier- very short coat, cannot be left outside. The BT enjoys his time outside,dashing through the snow and all that. As long as he is moving the temperature doesn't bother him. When he stops moving, he starts shivering.

Take the dog outside and let her decide if she wants to romp in the snow. Give her five minutes the first time, and increase the amount of time in two minute increments until you find her threshold. As Skykomish wrote, pay attention to her reactions and go from there. She may not even need a coat for small increments of time, but if you are taking her for a long walk, definitely get her one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts