~exciting news~

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suburbanite, Sep 11, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Okay, exciting for *me* anyway!

My black krim tomatoes are finally starting to turn orangy-brown!

:hobbyhors

Tomato success is imminent.....:D

(I've never grown tomatoes before, so this is a Big Deal.)

Any other garden successes to share out there that nobody but another gardener would appreciate? I'd like this thread to be a place to post about the little successes--even something really simple, like growing that one perfect carrot, or finding an untouched ear of corn in a field full of borers.

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

That *is* a Big Deal! Seems like it takes forever for that first change of color in tomatoes.

I grew peas this year! I'd tried them when I lived in zone 8 and they always burned up before setting fruit. Peas love it here where there's a nice decent drawn-out spring (at least there was this year).

I also grew broccoli and it was AMAZING. Lost most of it to soft rot but the first couple of heads were just indescribable. I couldn't grow that in zone 8 either. Next year I'll get it all out real early so I can harvest it before the worms and rot get to it. It was heaven on a fork.

3. suburbanite

Oh, when I had broccoli up last december--wow, talk about broccoli orgasm! I can't even look at it in a supermarket now.

4. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

Only one plant survived out of a whole row of red amaranth and it was specTACKular: about 9 feet high with drooping burgundy dreadlocks everywhere. Sadly, it self-decapitated but I caught lots of seed and will try again next year. Lucky for me there's always a next year!
    Marci in Nor Cal

5. suburbanite

Marcir--what variety of amaranth was it? I live in your general region so I should probably try the same type next year.

Only one of my 4 leaf-amaranths ("summer spinach") grew this year. It must have been a bad year for amaranth.

6. suburbanite

I have just learned how to tell if tomatoes are ripe--

Wait until the squirrels eat them!

Both my ripest tomatoes were sampled by brush-tailed rats today.

Grrrrrrr!

I only saw squirrels in my yard twice this year prior to this theft~~

As someone who doesn't generally like tomatoes as fruit, I have decided Black Krim aren't bad.

This is the first time I've had a tomato that didn't taste like it was watered-down. The flavor of these was more like 'sundried' tomatoes than what I've had on burgers and in salads before.

7. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

Hi Suburbanite,
    Sorry but I can't find my seed invoices from last year to tell you about the red amaranth variety. I do remember it was an edible type, seeds and leaves. I bought it from Pinetree Seeds - apparantly they are not offering it this year as it isn't in their catalog. If I run across it I will be sure to send it to you.
    Congratulations on your tomatoes, maybe throwing a net over the remaining fruits would discourage those squirrels!
    Marci in Nor Cal