Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Take it slow. I know they are cute and all. But mama even if she is over friendly normally will be totally different now. Let one of those little ones squeal and you will have one mama pig that is willing to kill or die trying to protect hers. Give them a little time and they will naturally be curious and come over to you.

If you have little ones around please be extra careful. It take just a second for something to go horribly wrong.

Congrats on the new litter they look great

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take it slow. I know they are cute and all. But mama even if she is over friendly normally will be totally different now. Let one of those little ones squeal and you will have one mama pig that is willing to kill or die trying to protect hers. Give them a little time and they will naturally be curious and come over to you.

If you have little ones around please be extra careful. It take just a second for something to go horribly wrong.

Congrats on the new litter they look great
Thanks! I love raising pigs!

Sound advice! I'll probably end up found in some swine poo someday...:D. The stories of people getting eaten or badly hurt is something to take serious! I have all super, super tame pigs. ...but, yep, anything can happen. I buy the tiniest pigs I can find and then pretty much live with them....all have been wild when I got them though. This is this sows 2nd litter for me....she's super great. I spent countless hours with her and her first litter....just hanging with them for hours everyday. I love it! I lay and read mags with my pigs, train them to play soccer and such, had one pig that loved to play tag, they'll follow me any where, can sit on them, voice commands, ride them, etc, etc. I train horses, have raised, trained and hauled bucking bulls, have 15 or so species of critters right now...so in short...people bad, animals good!...lol. ...but animals can be dangerous!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice photos. Keep the piglet's area dry.
Thanks! Will do! They're in the barn right now, but will soon head out to pasture. Next year I'll have too many litters coming to start them all in the barn....pigs everywhere....lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They are so cute! Mine are due in a few days. I am getting pretty anxious myself. I have always missed the actual birth of my animals I'm really hoping to be there this time. I've Had two babies myself and I'm still excited.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are so cute! Mine are due in a few days. I am getting pretty anxious myself. I have always missed the actual birth of my animals I'm really hoping to be there this time. I've Had two babies myself and I'm still excited.

Thanks! Boy, it's fun watching them pop out and wondering how many they will have, have many boys or girls, the markings, etc, fun fun! They are really starting to go to rootin' around already. They were born late Monday evening and into the night a little ways....so tonight or in the morning I am going to cut teeth, give iron shots and ear notch. I've been having a terrible time with people giving me the papers on the Berks I have been buying, so I'll register them right after I weigh them at 21 days old like I did her last litter and have the papers ready for a quick transfer if I sell any. I just really like the whole process!

Good Luck to you on your babies coming! I hope you get to see them being born!

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
How fun and beautiful babies! I can't wait to get this process started later this year. My boar is only 5 months old.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How fun and beautiful babies! I can't wait to get this process started later this year. My boar is only 5 months old.
Thanks! Good Luck to you! These babies were really dancing around and play fighting today...:grin: I scratched all of them a bunch on the head and they would just start dancing around in circles to get away besides just doing it on their own just playing. Quite a few started coming up to me sniffing me while I was laying by them. I have baby goats too right now, so lots of laughing going on!...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts