Excited homesteaders...Nuts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 28, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny what makes us homesteaders get all excited over, like free farm animal feces, birthing animals, watching stuff grow. City people think we're nuts. We have hardships they would go into a downright panic about, when to us, its just something else we cope with, fix, or whatever, like frozen pipes, back up septics, dry wells. Things I panic about are nasty weather, sick animlas, drought, "real stuff" that I have no control over.
    So what makes you giddy and what makes you panic?

2. newengland

newengland Active Member

Giddy = learning a new skill for independence
    Giddy = seeing our children (not even in their teens) doing something we did not learn to do until our thirties!
    Giddy = every time I knead dough, raise it, and bite into a fresh piece of warm bread (eating sourdough right now)

Panic = having to live in the city again
    Panic = having your children grow up and want to live in the city (but I don't see that happening)
    Panic = a "white out" (snowstorm so bad you cannot see) while driving

Thanks, newengland

3. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Giddy -- Being able to sit in my backyard and not hear a passing car or a train or neighbors yelling...just peace and quiet...just the sounds of nature.

Giddy -- Walking to the garden to get something for supper.

Giddy -- Driving on a country road and everyone waves : )

Panic -- Living in an apartment.

Panic -- Severe weather.

Panic -- The government passing a law that we can't have guns.

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

:) Good question, matey! Well, let's see. What makes me giddy and happy and utterly in wonder, is sprouting anything green in the garden. the first leaves on corn, beans, etc. One day old chicks. Eggs in the straw. When a good friend says that they'll come visit and they don't get all itchy at the thought of an animal in the house. And they relax when I say I've got to go out and see where the chickens are, cause I have to be alert for predators. Finishing a quilt.
    Shelves of jars filled with potatoes, beans, peaches. Catching rainwater. Bills paid and there's still money in the bank. (that's a real good one).when you can get it, anyone relate?.......helping someone who really, truly, needs me.....

Scary? Severe thunderstorms. Late frost as grapes and fruit are blossoming in full, large tracks in the mud around the coops, drought, too much rain, running out of homemade blackberry jelly, multiflora rose(hate the stuff), wrinkles, not having health insurance, sinning, my animals and my people getting older, things I can't change, like time passing too quickly, and habitual liars, cheats, and not having enough material of the right color to finish a quilt. :haha: ........that's the short list.........Margo

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Panic? well, more like frustrated..... With the deep snow we have had covering the ground, the rabbits chewed up the trunks of some of my young fruit trees. I know I'm going to lose at least a half dozen, possibly a dozen. Sigh.....

Mike

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

giddy= knowing my dogs are okay and adore me as much as I adore them/
    the satisfaction of a hatch of chicks or ducklings/ watching turkeys converting good food I can control giving them for good meat in return/ sprouting heritage seedlings and new varieites/ harvesting oranic grown/ watching the sunset without impediment of high rise buildings/ clear sky and full moon with northern lightsj/ a counrty thunderstorm/ the first settling snowfall/ hoar frost/ warm wood fire in winter/ a bowl of hot chilli after a walk or ski in the back trail...............

panic= thought of living in big city/ heavy highway traffic driviing/ light pollution/noise pollution/ smell of chemicals in the city/ crowds/ controlling loud and mindlessly conforming people/ marriage/ monkeys/desert/loss of internet

7. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

I haven't had a good panic lately, but my last giddy was when my hens gave me my first eggs. I went bounding to work with my great news.... and the folks I work with just had that blank "city" look.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

It occured to me today as I sent out "Christmas" letters (a wee bit late, I know) that most of the people getting these letters were not going to relate in any way shape or form...

Ah well.