Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small country curch with a correspondingly small budget.
We've got little, bright-eyed bushy tailed ones, the early and mid teen ones, the mamas and dads, then some ladies, addressd as "Auntie", a loved part of the fellowship.

So how do you come up with an equitable plan to have a gift to give to each one. Somewhere in the five dollar range.

Trust me when I say your loving help will be received with gratitiude.
:bow: Thank you, Stef

·
Junkman
630 Posts
The church around here just gives everyone a box of candy. Times being what they are, nothing wrong with even fruit or some item for school for the kiddies. A book for the teens. Our Christian book store is full of gift ideas in all price ranges. Do kids color anymore. The Dollar Stores are great for small children's gifts. Most toys at your price range are plastic and not too safe. Let us know what you get. Jklady

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
can't go wrong with a giant chocolate bar?!

when I was a kid the kids used to give coupons for so many hours of hard labor. How about the adults give out coupons for teaching how to knit, cook, make bread, use a chainsaw, take kids on a field trip somewhere(could be fishing or hiking) etc I know I cherish the memories I have from learning to bake bread in just such a kid/adult exchange(and, uh, not paying attention to t vs T of salt...)

seriously, if I was "in charge" I'd have people exchanging stuff like that, instead of just "stuff"--OR you can use the money (and people's cooking and musical/talent skills) to throw a GREAT party for all.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I grew up in a little country church, my dad pastored there for 27 years. And at Christmas, the way the gifts were done was that the Sunday School teachers would buy for their classes, this way everyone was included. They also handed out bags of candy with an orange in it, that way if people were there who weren't from the church they still got a little something. We always had a Christmas program with that following. Those are some of my fondest memories. The gifts were usually under $5.00 too.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Are you talking a gift FROM the church? or a gift from you ?

We grew up at a church that gave everyone at the Christmas program (kids did the 'manger' scene, or a small play) a brown bag with an apple, an orange or tangerine, a pack of gum and a peppermint stick. Even today, I love that type gift.

If it's from you personally, things like bookmarks, a mug with hot chocolate mix in it, or a pair of the really inexpensive mittens (last year, I got them for $1/pair). Another nice choice is a loaf of banana bread (easy, quick and cheap) or a bean soup mix that you've made.

dawn

·
23,497 Posts
Are you personally giving to everyone, or is it a gift exchange where people draw names?

I am giving every family a gift bag- I am using paper lunch sacks and decorating the outside- with a jar of homemade jam and a variety of cookies and fudge. I will probably also put a page of favorite quotes inside, something inspiring.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
In our church, each sunday school class draws names and exchanges at a Christmas party, AND each Sunday school teacher buys a gifts for each member in the class from the church budget. So each person gets two gifts. :)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I miss belonging to a small church. Big ones are so impersonal. I hope you all will share more about your church family activities, especially the holiday ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts