Excessive seeds in wool

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ana Bluebird, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

This is my first year with sheep and I've discovered that there are green seeds in my woods that stick like crazy to the wool. I've tried clearing the weeds by mowing but the sheep keep finding more. I'm afraid the sheep are a real mess now. I've thought of cutting off that top layer of debri that is turning black. I just don't know what to do---too late for this year, but next, maybe those protective coats for them. Or make a different pasture for seed season. What do you think?

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you shear this yr? Are the seeds wheat/rye seeds?

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

These are this year's babies---about four months old. I have just two little girls. The seeds are weeds---can't find the name, but they grow only in the wooded areas so I'm thinking of clearing out more trees to get more light in there. The sheep seem to love their flavor--just can't leave them alone. I'll keep looking for a name for the weed.

4. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

1ST question are you feeding bales od hay if so use different type of feeder one inwhich they only can put their head into a feeder and they cannot get it all over each other2nd do you have some tpye of grass tha clinges to there wool then you would want to cover their wool