excess corn uses

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SusanB, Aug 21, 2006.

1. SusanB

SusanB Well-Known Member

Ok, I have a neighbor who has a little farm stand with corn etc. He told me Saturday all he has left is some bi-color, but he's stopped picking for the season. He told me to help myself to all I want. Now it's been on there a little longer than I like for eating. It's very mature and gotten a little startchy. My question is if I pick it and dry it can I feed it to my chickens over the winter? If so how do I dry it? How long will it last and is it good for goats too? I hate to waste food, especially when it's free!

Susan

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

'Shine, hon. :buds: It's called "value adding" - and a truly innovative family business. ;) And just think: when your sons/nephews are a bit older, they can join the NASCAR circuit... :dance:

I've been in the Moonshine Capitol of the world too long...

3. SusanB

SusanB Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don'tdrink and I don't promote it to others. God didn't make me that way!
    But thanks for trying.

4. BobDFL

BobDFL The High-Tech Ludite Supporter

Who said anything about drinking it. :nono:

At today's gas prices, use a reflux still and get 180 proof or better and use it in your car/truck. :nerd:

Bob D. in FL.

5. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

If you can find out how to make hominy. I know it is made from field corn (what we always called corn left on the stalk to long) but the particulars I don't know anything about. Or you can grind it and make corn flour.

6. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Just shuck it and dry it on the cob. It is then good feed for chickens this winter and will easily shell off the cob by hand. In addition, if you soak it or crack or crimp it a bit, cows, horses, and goats can use it too.

In addition to THAT.. you can grind it and make your own cornmeal. If you want you can make hominy. I wouldn't do that. Long involved process and I don't like hominy to begin with.

At any rate... store it where it gets plenty of air circulation but try to keep it away from rats and other critters, this is the toughest part of the job of course. I think folks way back put it in a corncrib and realized they would lose part to the rats.

Good luck! I'd love to have the same opportunity. Find out if it is a hybrid or open pollinated. If it's open pollinated, you can use some of the seed to grow the same corn next year.

7. SusanB

SusanB Well-Known Member

Hooray, some responses I can use! Thanks all for your input. I'm going over to pick up some of this corn tomorrow. Now all I need is a place to dry it and maybe a mill for grinding...off to the barter board!

Susan

8. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Last year, I picked many bushels that the farmer left here on our ground. kept my chickens in corn all winter long, whole and then in the spring when my sheep were older I also feed it to them whole. I love leftover corn. I also threw the corn on the cobs into the chickens, kept them busy when they couldn't play outside. keep a bunch on the cob for winter boredom.

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way to dry it is to leave it on the stalks in the field. If they want it out of there, then take off the shucks and spread the ears out where they don't get rained on. Piling it much can cause it to mold.

10. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

We have a neighbor who offers us all the "older" corn we want. I have found that if I cut it off the cob, it is fit to eat, particularly if I mix it with some from my garden that is "just right" for eating.

And yes, chickens will eat it. If I have ears that don't develop, I just throw the whole thing in the coop and the chickens go CRAZY... Dunno about drying. Ours never makes it that far...

-Joy

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Do remeber that drying corn is food for rodents and birds so keep it somewhere that you won't have problems.