Excenel

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gccrook, Feb 25, 2005.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

can someone give info on the proper dosage of Excenel for gaots? I have nubians, and the vet recomended 1cc per 100 lbs. Is this right?

2. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

My vet told me to give 4cc per 100 pounds for the pneumonia we've been having. It has saved my kids. It may be a superdose, I don't know. I do know that it is a 2nd generation cephalosporin and it wouldn't be unusual to give a superdose. I used to work for a doctor who would give a superdose of a 3rd generation cephalosporin. Insurance companies and medicare wouldn't pay for it all, but the patient came back in 2 days with an almost miraculous recovery. They still had to be followed up with oral antibiotics for severe infections. The dose of Excenel can be repeated in 48 hours. That is what my vet said. Hope this helps.

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Thanks. That means I would need 6 cc for my 150 lb doe. And then again in 48 hours? How many time total. This is for a possible staph infection. I am having the milk tested today, and will not treat until I know for sure. She seems fine except for some little white specks in the milk, and her milk quantity has reduced.