Excellent soil

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Hubby and I were out planting fruit trees today. We started digging holes about 10 feet north of our garden and found the most excellent black soil we've ever seen. Of course, where we've had the garden the last 8 years is the worst clay/gravel combo you could ever imagine. Oh well, at least the trees will be happy!

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

mammabooh, I had a similar experience. After working up my large garden area which was clay and stone, and then after planting my orchard in an area of clay and stone, I had the need to bury my first beloved pet after moving to this land. I chose the spot carefully, and called a fella to come help me dig the grave (it was for a very large dog). Well, he started digging and quickly commented on how wonderful the soil was!! It was significantly better. Odd....

3. mammabooh

Just makes ya growl, doesn't it??!!??!!

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I'm pretty lucky. My whole place used to be watermelon fields, and has great soil no matter where I dig. My father in law is mighty jealous.

5. mammabooh

So am I!