Excellent hunting trip- Back from Wyoming :)

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Oct 9, 2006.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Well, we had a great trip. The area we were hunting was more desert like, sage brush and small junipers. WINDY as all get out most the time.
    We mostly saw does and small forks. We did see one 3 x 2 but passed on him due to his body size. Saw a decent 4 pointer but it was at night when we were returning to camp so couldnt take him. Went back 3 days in a row and never saw him during hunting hours. TONS of rubs all over this moutain range. Saw lots of elk too. Tons of wild horses. Even saw red fox and a few coyotes. Wyoming has some of the most gorgeous red fox Ive ever seen!
    We ended up picking up some left over doe tags for a different area, so went over there first and saw 7 shootable bucks 3 point of better. Couple of forks too. Next year I think we will put in for a buck in that area and let the desert area grow a few years. Not many hunters there so pressure shouldnt be too hard on them.
    We ended up with 4 does, 1 buck- for the area this buck was BIG, Its a 16 inch wide fork.. Also took a red fox and a porcupine :)
    We got in some long range practise too on video. Was a blast, My son shot consitant at 509 yards and was dead on, Hubby was shooting at 600 yards and its just awesome watching the tape! . The new turret we had built special for his gun and load is dead on.. You can see on tape the bullet trails! Way cool...
    We liked the area other than the wind.. It would either be windy, or no wind. No inbetween. we got rain several nights then the day we were leaving it rained all day. If it had snowed it would have been better. We had to cape and process everything under the canopy. The jumping jack trailer worked out great, but I am soo glad we bought the canopy. It worked out great as a living/cook area. And for processing too.
    I think we will definitely put in again for Wyoming next year. The area Biologist, Tim Wooley, was a great help. I spoke many times with him before we headed over there and when we were there we ran into him several times and enjoyed chatting, he helped us find some great areas.
    We are thinking of just going over there to hunt fox and other critters for taxidermy. Mainly the fox.. We cant hunt the reds here in California and Wyoming sure does have some gorgeous ones..
    IN a week in a half hubby heads off to Utah for a trophy hunt. Then its back home to go after pigs and bear.
    Man Im tired LOL. But was it ever fun :)

2. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great trip!
    We used to go to Wyoming every year and hunted the No. West corner near Hulett. We haven't been back out there for a couple of years now. Too much going on around home.
    I sure do miss it!

Congrats on the venison.

3. Wished I could have been with you. I just love the country up there in Wyoming and Montanna. We were driving up through there and would see 50 pronghorns at a time or 10 - 15 deer at a time. In one day we seen something like over 200 pronghorns and something like 65 deer. At that time I probably hadn't seen that many deer total in all my life here in Oklahoma. This was back in the late 70's and ever since I have always wanted to go back up that way and try my luck at hunting. Have never had the opportunity yet. Maybe one of these days.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Glad you had a Good time.But you do know we like Pictures :shrug:

big rockpile

5. RoyalOaksRanch

I will have to get some when FIL gets them developed :)
    Im leaving again soon so probably wont have any to post until I get back from Colorado.
    IM leaving for that hunt a couple days after my hubby leaves for his Utah hunt. Hes going to drive over and meet up with us after he is done in Utah :)
    Should be a fun hunt :)

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Me too.

Best of luck on the upcoming hunts!

8. countrymech

countrymech Well-Known Member

Non resident tags in 3 states, wow. I bet that gets pretty pricey.

9. RoyalOaksRanch

Yes its pricey, but we probably spend no more than some other family that doesnt hunt and instead does vacations on cruises, or theme parks.
    Heck my mom can blow more money on having her hair done than I spend on bullets for all these hunts LOL..
    My sister spends more on one pair of jeans! It all depends on priorities :)
    Rae