Ewwww

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by southerngurl, Jul 26, 2005.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

So, we notice our kitten has something on it's face, the underside of it's cheek. So we look closer and see that it is a sore. We clean it off, and see that it is draining a bit, put some antibiotic stuff on it. The next morning we check on it, and see there is a little hole, a perfectly round little hole, that is still draining some. I cleaned it up again, and while I was looking at it I see something in the little hole. Something moving. :eek: MOVING I tell ya. Then it hits me: bot fly. :nerd: EWWWWW. So I get some tweezers, and I'm trying to grab it's nasty little head, I can't get it. We look on the internet and one place says to use petroleum jelly. Since the bot fly larvae has to stick it's little head out to breath, it will have to stick it further out, through the petroleum jelly to try to breath, and then you can snatch it up. So I've got some vaseline on it, and I can see it, sticking that little head out (once again, EWW), trying to find some air. The kitten is getting sick of be held down, and squirming. About 30-40 mins. later, I finally get ahold of the stupid worm and pull it out. GRODY! It's this little white grub, about 1/2 an inch long, and fat. I would have taken a picture but it was so small it wouldn't have shown up.

Bot flies tend to only get on weaker animals, this was a stray kitten that showed up, and had been hungry for a while. They release a toxin into the body making the aniaml feel like crud, and if they die inside, they will cause infection and release alot of the toxin potentially killing the animal. So be on teh watch for bot fly larva.

I am really grossed out. The grub is in our septic tank. :happy:

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

EEWW is right. Our little dog was sitting in my lap as we were driving down the road, and I noticed I had bloody looking stuff on my arm. Poor little guy had one knawing away behind his rib cage. Had no idea what it was--just totally GROSS! Quick vet trip got it removed via tweezers and $$$$. Little dog had lived with us for a couple years and was in good health and vigor. Vet said the bot flies usually prefer cattle.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Okay...now you have me way way grossed out folks, LOL! I was sitting here reading obsessing on my college algebra problems (problem being i dont get it!) so at least you all took my mind off that dread for a minute or two!

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a cat that had a warble about 25 yrs ago. its the same worm we put turpintine on a rag and wiped it over the hole the worm came out ,The cat was fine after that it lived for 5 more years , The cat that is.

5. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Double EWWWWWW! I saw these on TV on a program about South America. I had no idea the U.S. had them too.

6. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

You have just made your acquaintance with our little friend Cuterebra. He is a fly larva that loves to do this to puppies and kittens and rabbits.

BUT............your kitten is VERY lucky that you didn't break open the larva and leak its innards into that hole when removing it, because that has been known to cause fatal anaphylactic (allergic) shock. These things are best left for a vet to remove.

BTW, you think Cuterebra is gross, you should see Wolfhartia. Cuterebra is all alone in his hole. Wolfhartia has a whole bunch of those things in one hole, a regular grub orgy!!!!!!

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

last year I had a kitten with one... got it out by luck... if you leave them alone they just hatch & leave on their own... Our kitten was fine... But I was sure it was an alien at the time!

8. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I thought thought the worse thing to pull out of an animal was a tick...blech
    On Discovery Channel one time some guy did pull one out of his arm...

9. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Uggh. Our cat had the same thing when she was a kitten. She has this bad smell to her and I noticed the little hole kinda on her neck/ upper chest. I was so horrified to pull out that worm! Just thinking about it makes me shudder! I cleaned and flushed the hole daily until it healed. Asked about it at the vet's office and they said it is very common in barn cats, especially in that spot because they can't groom well there.

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I remember cuterebrae from when I worked as a vet tech. One of the vets actually had a collection of them. Interesting to see, satisfying to remove.

But a cuterebra is NOT cute! ;)

Pony!