Ewes due to lamb soon...have some questions

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Shannonmcmom, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

Hello,

It has been a while since I posted here. We have some lambs due soon, not too sure when, but I do know it is soon. The thing is we have 2 first timers. They were born here in July of 2005 and now are due right away. They are both already bagging up. I know that with our other ewes they would actually bag up like a month before having but they had lambed before. Does it make a difference if it is a first timer or are all sheep different?

I do have one ewe that I am not sure if she is actually pregnant or not. Her vulva is pretty swollen so I am not sure if she has been getting some action or if she is close to having babies... We have seperated out the rams from the ewes, with the exception of what I thought was a wether.. but he has been mounting any female in sight so now I am wondering if I got both of his balls or not. There is nothing hanging there anymore but do casterated rams still have the urge to mount?

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Ive seen wethers mount both ewes and rams. My Dorpers will start baggin up 4-6 weeks before they lamb, but some's udders will get much larger before they give birth so tis hard to judge who will be next. My first timers look the same as the older ones

3. Shannonmcmom

Well I am mostly ready for them to come anyways, as much as having a newborn baby allows me. All of my sheep gave birth during the day last year. I guess after these lambs are born we should probably do a controlled breeding, that would make it easier to know when the lambs would be coming. We got rid of our goats so now we have seperate pastures to use for the sheep. One for the ewes and babies and one for the rams.

Shannon

4. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

How newborn? And tell me how it goes for you. I hope my gals will take care of things pretty independently but my little one will be a couple months old (she was born on the 13th) when the earliest possible lambing date rolls around and I do worry about what if I have to go out there for any length of time to help out.

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

The 'wether' I had turned out to be a ram ... and so I have sheep that are pregnant and I have absolutely no idea when they'll deliver!

I try to 'cop a feel' of the udder whenever I can, but these Icelandics are skittish and the girls don't like that much ... so I just watch their bellies get bigger and wait, wondering which day I'll find lambs out there. :)

Anyone who can tell me how to tell how far out we are gets the Hero of the Day award! :D

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Well Fraz.. it is a 149 day gestation, so I'd ballpark the due date based on your first frost plus 2 weeks. Since the Icelandic cycle is triggered by "autumn," cold and probably daylight hours in particular, you can more or less ballpark an unplanned breeding by either first cold snap plus a bit... or, if the "wether" got in after your first cold snaps, but the date the wether got in.

Worst case you'll be ready for lambs before they show up. Best case you won't look out into the pasture like we do every spring and say "well.. hun.. that's not a patch of snow..."

7. Shannonmcmom

My son was born in the middle of December so he is almost 7 weeks old. My oldest 2 kids are 9 and almost 8 and they help out when I go outside. My oldest son gets locked in my bedroom with his littlest brother and my almost 8 year old daughter will be in the rest of the house with my 2 year old son. That way I don't have to worry as much about my 2yo trying to "help" with his baby brother. That is my biggest fear when I go out. My 6 yo son and 4 yo daughter sometimes come out with me. I have my cell phone so that my oldest can phone or he yells out the window.

Hey frazz

PM me as we live near Edmonton as well. We would love to get some Icelandic Sheep. Sheep are almost as addictive as chickens. We have only sold 1 of our ram lambs and have kind of kept the rest as pets... so far... I will butcher the excess ram lambs but I like to keep the girls. Some are really tame and are nice to have for keeping our land clear.

Our ewes are still big. I know that Ogre was jumping some of them the end of August but then I saw him sniffing around them a month later. So it is a guessing game and I send my DH out in the middle of the night to check. I think that they will probably lamb when the weather turns colder. That is what they did last year.