Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Just going over the what to do list...

I have a ewe with scours who is off her feed. She is a bit warm and had been laying down but is up and standing now. She's not active by any stretch but looks considerably less flat.

I've drenched her for worms, given fresh water and have her off by herself (with her Great Pyr buddy). She is drinking. I've given a bit of hay but would grain be better? I can give plan oats as well.

Thanks

Sorry - forgot to add - my main concerns are worms or that she got into something when grazing. She's the sheep who is always determined to break into the compost etc.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
Id stick to hay only. Grain can make scours worse. And some Pepto Bismol couldnt hurt. What color is it? If it very dark it could be coccidiosis. If greenish, its probably something she ate.

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's greenish and we've figured out what the something is.

She broke into the duck feed and -thank goodness- just got what was left in the bottom of the bag!

I've drenched her for worms - just in case - and soda with oil. Had a couple of good belches after the soda/oil/belly massage. She's on her feet now. Still scouring but not so liquid and definitely, definitely green.

She'd drinking but not eating but moving and tried to get away when we were drenching her with the soda (which is an improvement over this morning).

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
I thought that for a grain overload you needed to treat five days with penicillin?

That's what I did with my ewe Minx based on advice here and on the ISBONA mailing list. I also drenched her three times a day with probios in a yogurt and buttermilk mixture to keep the rumen active. She liked only hay, not even grass, for about a week after she was up.

Here's the old thread in case you want it:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=187077

I hope it helps. Good luck.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,549 Posts
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/sg5167
"As the common name, grain overload suggests, the condition is caused by a sudden intake of too much grain or concentrate. This high level of grain causes a change in the rumen acidity and bacteria population. The increase in acid causes an inflammation of the rumen wall (rumenitis) and a reduction of bacteria needed to digest fibre."

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lisarichards said:
I thought that for a grain overload you needed to treat five days with penicillin?
Hi Lisa

Many thanks for that. I hadn't even thought about the pen tx for overload. I was so focused on the drenching. Mine's an Icelandic ewe as well and I have a full bottle of Pen in the fridge for just such emergencies.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I'd treat her with a bakign soda drench, and a Vit B shot or even better thiamin. Never used PenG what's it for?

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnx Ross. I actually don't what the purpose of the Pen is but have read that as part of treatment.

Will keep up with the drenching!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to leave baking soda out free choice, as well. They will self treat their indigestion especially milder epsiodes. smile

1 - 10 of 10 Posts