Ewe with mastitis or not...??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by shell, May 3, 2004.

1. shell

shell New Member

Not sure if one of our ewe's has got mastitis in her udder or not? Her udder is very large and saggy and she has trouble walking with it. She's not grazing, just standing in the corner of the field away from the others in the flock? Am not sure if it's that or not? She had one healthy lamb & lamb seems upset by mum being ill, she is also not answering her lamb when she calls. The lamb is now 6 weeks old? Can anyone give me some advice on this??

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think you're stuck with a vet call, and it might be worth it for the flock's sake. She could have mastitis, or it could be OPP. She should be in a pen seperated from the flock. I'd guess the lamb is eating solid foods pretty well but it might need some supplimenting too. Get a temperature from the ewe, condition score her and strip out some milk to see what it is like. Ask the vet about OPP (Ovine Progresive Pnuemonia) or Maedi Visna which has hard bag as a symptom. You may want to do some flock testing and culling.

3. shell

shell New Member

Thanks for your advice Ross, She is penned off from the flock, next stop vet...!!

Thanks again...