Ewe with back problem

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by DocM, Jan 12, 2007.

1. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

3 yr old leicester/suffolk mix, due (guessing, field bred) around mid Feb. She's already pretty big, no udder. Normal temp. Eating fine. UTD vaccinations/worming. Will BoSE first of Feb - they have access to minerals with selenium. She is walking "stiff" in the hind end. Not her feet, more like her back is sore. Walks slow, gets up and down okay, just slow, stiffly. When she runs she picks up both feet and sort of does this hopping gait. Possibly was knocked when moving into lambing pasture last week, you know, you open the 4' wide gate and 20 sheep try to crowd through at once. I would expect if she was just sore to be better by now (moved the first of Jan). She's no better and no worse. Wondering if the lambs could be settled on something wrong? Give her something for inflammation? I'm stumped. She's wild as a march hare but we cornered her and looked her over, nothing obvious, broken, out of place.

2. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd call the vet and see if he'd want to see her first - if not, if I should use predef for a few days, or just banamine, and at what dosage.

You're right, she ought to be better by now. :^(

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

The vet makes farm calls tomorrow, so I'll get on the list.

I just observed her standing and stretching her right hind leg out behind her a couple of times, she took a couple of steps, and did it again.

Thanks Lisa.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Could be the start of calcium deficency. Does she swallow her feed or water hard like its a chore? If your vet is coming ask her/him about the possibility. We add oral Vit AD tothe water about this time or use the mineral vitamin lick tubs. Which reminds me i have to go see if they came in!

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Gad, I hate it when one of my sheep comes up with something I can't pinpoint, too. Hopefully its not early ketosis. Is P. tenuis a possibility in your area? You stated you wormed her, the dying parasites could have caused some inflammation. However, being PG is not a good time to need to treat with dexamethasone, I'm not sure if a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory would work as well. Maybe it is just a hitch in her get along. So much for my armchair diagnostics! That, and a $1.25, will get you a cup of joe. Good luck and let us know how things go.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

She had a really low fecal count, we never had much of a parasite problem. She has access to sheep minerals. I have all kinds of calcium supplements for my goats, calcium drench, A and D vit liquid for water, some to sub q, and even the gel/paste stuff. I'll ask the vet.

7. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

DocM, We had a weather last year who started walking kind of like he was kick his rear feet forward to walk, he also had a slight hunch to his back. No fever, ate good. He was slow to get up and didn't like fight to get hay. We give bo-se to ewe prior to breeding, to lambs at birth and always have minerals out. Yet this one still had white muscle. Vet said to give 1cc of bo-se every other day for a week. He was doing better by day 3 was great by day 7. G&S

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Yep, the vet said to do exactly that. I think I might give her a calcium drench too.

9. Goatsandsheep

Hey DocM if you don't mind could you let me how the bo-se affect your ewe with her be pregnant. thank you G&S

10. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I give all my ewes BoSE before they lamb - usually about 2 weeks prior - sometimes the gel paste, and sometimes an injection. Never had a problem. We are very selenium deficient here, and guessing about whether or not they've injested it via minerals is kind of risky. A 1 or 2 CC booster is nowhere near the kind of quantity you'd need to develop selenium toxicity.

11. Goatsandsheep

Thanks for infor. I was also told not to give bo-se to pregnant ewe and does, because it can cause abortions and miscarriages. G&S