Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Leicester Longwool ewe, 7-8 years old, who appears lame, and is also not wanting to eat. She's alert and has good eye color. She doesn't want to walk, especially favoring a hind leg. She doesn't want to lie down, either. She is thin...thinner than I thought. I knew she hadn't gained back condition after lambing, but I didn't realize she was as thin as she is until I caught her up.

With my leg in a brace, I was unable to temp her, or pick up and examine feet, or look in her mouth for lesions. She's a big, strong girl, and she's not interested in any of those procedures. :rolleyes: She's got me beat right now. I was able to give her a dose of Bo-Se, just in case, and B-complex, also just in case.

Until I can get someone I can trust to help me get a look at her feet and mouth, what can I do by myself, and what else should I be looking at that I'm not thinking of? I could get the vet out tomorrow, if need be.

No other sheep in my small flock has symptoms like these, but she's the only LL, although her spring lamb is still here. He's not-quite weaned, but almost. Her bag is nearly dried up.

Ideas?
Meg...and thanks

·
Shepherd
1,658 Posts
I had a ewe lamb who was behaving in a similar way and we found a tack in her foot. The kind of tack that holds up a fly paper.

Until you get a chance to have a look, I don't think it's possible to make a good assessment.

Good luck with her. I hope it is something simple and ez to find!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I know I need to look, but wanted to make sure I had a complete list of what I'm looking for when I get her back up. I'll probably only get one good chance, since I'll be by myself again.

Didn't think about something like a tack...and we do use that kind of flypaper at the barn, and they are at the barn right now, rather than one of the sheep sheds. I had thought about a foreign object in there, but not something that small.

I think if I can't get her feet up myself in the morning I'll just call the vet over. Better safe than sorry. I feel bad enough that I hadn't noticed how thin she was. I checked most of the others, but didn't get to them all.

Meg

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,635 Posts
I've had a couple that developed mysterious limps and as best I can tell it was a bruise or a sprain since they went away on their own. I never was able to find a cause.

Its possible this heat has put her off her feed too. Hopefully in a couple of more weeks the weather will be more forgiving

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't think it's a bruise or strain, as she's tender on all feet. She was laying down when I came home today, but when she saw the halter, she was up in seconds. I watched her at the water, and she's putting her muzzle in, but not drinking. So we can add dehydration to the mix...at a bad time of year for it. I'm expecting the vet at any moment, so I'll let you know what's what.

I'm quite paranoid about a sheep that's footsore on all feet, and not wanting to eat and drink........ :help:

I'm going to put some beet pulp to soak, and add some molasses to it. She's got the worst sweet tooth of the flock, so maybe that will entice her! Thanks for the idea!

Meg

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, vet has been and gone. Annie (the ewe) has been started on antibiotics, and we gave her a couple liters of fluids sub-q. We checked her mouth and feet. No lesions visable on either. :shrug: Doc couldn't get a pain response on the feet, either.

I also gave her some water by mouth. She did swallow, and lick lips, but she didn't want to. I quit pushing it (for now) when she quit swallowing...don't need aspiration, too.

Doc made notes on what we did see, and she's going to contact State and see what they think. She's an equine vet, so although willing to help, is not as knowledgeable on sheep. I give an 8-way vaccine, so unless she doesn't make antibodies well, that stuff should be covered.

I'm stumped. :help:
Meg...off to do more internet research.....

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although Annie appeard improved this morning, she was dead when I got home from work today. I just got back from driving to Raleigh to take her to the state diagnostic lab for a necropsy. I need to know what killed her, and if my other sheep are at risk.

Meg

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Meg,

Sending hugs your way.....sorry for the loss of Annie, it is so very hard to lose someone so dear to your heart. Hopefully you can find comfort in knowing she had a wonderful life with you and did the best you could to help her. It is good she is no longer suffering.

Please let us know if you find anything out.
I have heard that often the they make a point of the obvious (i.e. they died from dehydration, aspiration or a heart attack ) and necropsies don't always give us a helpful answer.

Deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts