Ewe not on her feet much

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, May 17, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've got a three year old romney that of late appears to be down more than up. She was moved to new pasture about a month ago along with everyone else, and had been out there for a few hours a day prior to this permanant move.

It's been quite hot the past couple days, so while I've kept an eye on her, I wasn't terribly concerned. She's alert, her eyes are bright, and gum color good (for a black sheep!) Yesterday evening she was up and grazing and not wanting to be messed with; I laid any concerns to rest, figuring it just the heat.

This morning, not nearly so warm, and she was down again. Didn't make any move to get up when I walked over to her. Burping, chewing cud, no tight belly. Eyes and color still good, but just no desire to get up and move.

She's been dewormed, but we're due for another fecal flotation, which I've been doing rather regularly since we've been dealing with coccidia. Her weight is quite good...actually could shed a few pounds after this month on pasture. Weight good over the top of her back, so doesn't look like a typical parasite case.

Any thoughts? Could the additional weight be an issue?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The ground is just now starting to dry out --- have you checked her feet? Things were so wet and squishy, foot rot or foot scald might have set in.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Feet are a good suggestion. How's their salt supply holding up?

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'd hoped to check feet a bit closer tonight after work, but she was up and on the move (away from me!) Didn't appear to be sore, but certainly worth a closer look. This morning I felt them and there was nothing super obvious (but I was dressed for work, so I didn't get down on the ground and stick my nose to her hooves :rolleyes: ) Tomorrow they'll be coming home, so I'll be able to get my hands on her for closer evaluation.