ewe not eatting corn~

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by SmokedCow, Mar 11, 2005.

1. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

we have a yearling ewe who lambed about 2 weeks ago..and she ate her corn just fine...now she doesnt touch it but will eat her hay just fine. We give them to the very bottom line of a coffee cup of corn...Thanks
    Aj

2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Are you saying she eats corn every day but now she has stopped eating it? I would get a temperature on her and check for mastitis or any other possible sickness. This is a very common time for mastitis to show up ~ at two weeks. How do her lambs look? If she only has one, she could have the mastitis on one side of her udder and the one lamb would still be doing fine. Feel for hardness. Going off grain is a very good first indication that something is amiss with her. Going off food completely and you are getting into deep trouble . . . don't wait on treating her!

3. SmokedCow

Yes she use to eat her corn everyday....and now she has stopped but eats her hay just fine. She has twins and she wont let them suck unless we tie her up or stande there...he udder is not hard...Thanks
    Aj

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

her rumin could be running a little acidic, a bakign soda drench might do wonders. Do check her out as Sue said. If she's not letting her lambs nurse check their teeth to see if they are sharp. If they are, float/file them blunt with an emery board nail file.

5. SmokedCow

Hey! Well i have some great news! I gave her some new corn, and she ate it up! I wonder if the other was gettting stale? does cracked corn go stale? Hmm...well all is good now...But what about her lambs not being able to suck without he being tied up or us standing there? I will check their teeth tomorrow!
    THANKS!
    AJ