Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 st croix ewes and a ram. I obtained the ewes in July they are sisters 8 months old now. A month after I got them I brought home the ram who immediately started smelling them then curling his (what would be anyway) lips in the aide showing his teeth, etc. in other words he immediately noticed they were girls.

After a little more than a month of being around them, he just stared trying to mount them. None seemed interested. I think he got the smallest one when I wasn't around.

She's been laying around all day and the other sheep check on her, but she's just lays in the shade and pants. Finally at one point she got up on her own and ate a little.

I was just wondering if a ewe can go into a state of shock or near shock or post traumatic disorder after the first time they mate.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
952 Posts
A)Rams may try to mount, but they arn't rapists. If a ewe wants to breed she will look him in the eye and tell the ram "have at it." IF SHE doesn't accept he's gotta deal with it and they do. Mine go and hit fence posts or breed another ram. or breed the fence post. Thats always akward.
B)When in heat ewes enjoy sex just as much as the rest of us, I've come home to a ram passed out on the ground from a days romp and the ewe happily walking funny. No, sheep don't get PTSD from regular breeding.
C) they do not seem to have an idea about "virginity" unless you sunday school your sheep (In which case I am doing a special on "promise rings" for sheep, ya know, if you want to start hosting sire-daughter purity balls). They get bred once a year: pretty sure each time *feels* like the first time.

So: no, she's not beating herself up for breeding before marriage, shes sick somehow. Heat exhaustion, parasites, mineral deficiency...all sorts of possibilities. Secuno is right: get a vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts