ewe is throwin up

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Our Barbadoes Black Belly ewe is now throwing up when she eats her grain, she then goes back and eats and is just fine.

We think she might be Prego as she has been exposed to a St. Croix Ram.

Wife says she is pawing the ground and she (the ewe) has become very friendly to the wife lately. These were the same symptoms she had last year and delivered Twins.

Her milk bag hasn't expanded much so we are just watching her closely.

She is 2-1/2 yrs old

Whewwwwwwww. Question is what could be causing her to throw up? Could she be eating too fast cause she is pregnant? She is on pasture all day and eats grass and we also give her hay.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Ewes heavy in lamb do not have as much room for their stomachs, so yes being pregnant may be a contributing factor. The only ewes I've seen throwing up were suffering acidosis and needed baking soda drenches, Vit AD and B complex injections are all recovered fine. As yours seems to be very resiliant I'd try just adding some powdered baking soda (as much as she'll eat but try for a light dusting on the grain.) You can offer it free choice too, it works for some. Salt and mineral suppliments are available?

3. Craftyshepherdess

Craftyshepherdess Active Member

While it certainly can't hurt to offer bicarb, I have seen ewes gack and throw up part of their grain ration and then go back to eating as though nothing had happened when they are eaing too quickly and bolting their food without chewing. It seems to happen more often when the mix contains a lg % of whole oats or other smaller whole grains. If you have changed or increased her ration recently, or if there is increased competition around the feedtrough, or if she's just *hungrier* due to reduced capacity + growing lambs, all could play a role. Rarely, one will inhale some of the slimy gain and get into trouble, so I would keep an eye on her, but not worry too much as long as she does not seem to be in distress.

-Tish

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I want to thank you for your input and our minds are at ease.
    We both went out yesterday and it it apparent that she is indeed pregnant and still very healthy. :)
    We bought more minerals yesterday and will be watching her closely. We bought the minerals in 50 bag and will make available free choice. Also increasing the amt of hay she eats as the pasture is browning up now. :(

Thanks again for your input and time it took you to respond. :)

Dennis