Ewe gets stuck on her back and can't get up!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by spinnDrSandy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

One of my ewes has the habit of lying down then rolling over on her back. She is so large and full of wool that she then can't roll back over to her feet. When she lies down, she streaches her legs out in front instead of lying on her legs. We have gotten to the point that we check on her several times a day to make sure she is up-right. A couple of mornings we have found her upside down and have no idea how long she has been that way during the night. Anyone have the same problem and any idea of how to fix it? I am concerned that if we leave for a period of time and she gets stuck up-side-down that she will die.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

All sheep can get cast, and yeah they'll bloat and die if left too long like that. The best you can do is try to keep the yards as flat as you can. Over the years I've had terrible luck gettign the sheep to eat enough mineral, but the last couple have been much better. It would seem to me that I'd get more cast sheep when they were on strike eating mineral than when they had enough (IMO) We still get the odd one but not the consistant ones that likes yours seemed to have a problem. A connection maybe?

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't know about the mineral connection but I think you've answered your own question - she is large and full of wool.

All of my shorn sheep can flick themselves back on to their feet without too much trouble unless they've got themselves into a little hollow or dip, but sheep with heavy wool can't manage it and if they're fat or pregnant they haven't got a hope.

If your sheep is fat (as opposed to just being a large sheep) try and get some weight off her and get her shorn as soon as possible. She is stretching her legs out in front of her because she is uncomfortable.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

:waa: We lost one of our favorite ewes this way last summer :waa: Part of our flock was at a neighbors pasture for awhile. That neighbor did not notice the ewe laying there until she had been dead for a day or so. She had a tendency to get cast when she was pregnant, and lost her lambs last spring. So she got too fat on the same pasture the rest of the ewes did fine on raising their lambs. Wool was not an issue then and she still got cast. Iv'e never had any others get cast, I wonder if just certain individuals have this tendency?