ewe attacked by neighbor's dog

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Well it finally happened. The neighbor's mutt got into my pen, still figuring it out since the fencing is 6 feet high and hot wired, and got one of my girls. Had the vet come out and take a look at her this am. She has a half dollar sized hole in the side of her face. Doc wouldn't do anything besides put cream on it, looking for a new vet, says it will have to heal on it's own. Anyone else ever delt with a hole in the side of the mouth? I feel like I should close it since you can see her teeth now. Should I or just do as doc says and leave it open and let it's close on it's own? Never fails something happens to your favorite animal huh?

BTW, the dog will not be getting anyone elses livestock.

2. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Gosh, I hate to hear that ! I've never had to deal with a hole except in a cat, and the vet did say that to leave it open to drain. Otherwise, it would bust the stitches open again. Wonder if this would be the same idea here?

Glad the dog was taken care of- at least he won't be bothering you again.

Good Luck!
    SHerry

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

i would send the bill to the dogs owner if they get ****ed you took care of their problem , tell them it could be worse it could've been a child attacted.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would think stitches would simply tear out. If it is kept clean it should heal over fine. I've had similar wounds heal OK, and the ones that were stitched were left loose so they'd drain. That's a lot of work for you in the next few weeks! Good thing she's tame......???

5. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

<<<------friendly neighborhood cat vet here (but flesh is flesh, and I do know a thing or two about sheep).............we like to leave bite wounds open to heal by "second intention" (let the wound granulate in and heal on its own) rather than suture them closed, because we don't like to leave infection closed up tight..........you will almost always end up with the sutures breaking down as the trapped infection turns into a nasty abscess. The body WANTS to heal and with a little help it will do so. Wounds should be kept clean (warm water), and should not be allowed to heal on the surface until they are healed down deep. Do NOT use alcohol or peroxide on the wound as they both are irritating and will delay healing. Ointments also will, in theory, delay healing but an antibiotic ointment may help if the wound is producing pus. The face and mouth have EXCELLENT blood supply which aids in speedy healing.

6. Well, my baby died last night. I noticed she was going down fast so called Doc again. Doc said it was shock and didn't charge me for either visit. Yes girls, crying does help sometimes. I wish there was something I could have done to prevent this but at least that mutt won't be coming back again. Neighbors got a bill for my girl this AM on their door with a very "nice" note. The wife called up saying sorry and sent a check over with her kids. Still doesn't bring back my girl tho.

Thanks for the replies, eases my mind a bit about the wound to know my vet was right.

7. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that....I just lost a ewe to shock recently too. Very sad.

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Very sorry to hear about this. I am glad you have a decent neighbor tho.
    They probably feel bad about it too.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

It depends on the location of the wound and whether there is part missing, there very well may be nothing to sew to, and trying might make it worse. If you know any koreans they would probably be happy for dog meat.