Evil, why seek it?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Westwood, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Why is it that anyone would seek to recognize evil? My relationship with God doesn't go that way. I'm not called to seek evil. Evil will present itself in many ways. I'm called to seek goodness in the people I choose to have in my life and have no room in my life for anything other.

What is it, how are preople fixated, just how negative can they lower themselves to be and just who's duty are they doing?

I really am going to post it this time.

2. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I always say if you look for the devil you find him.Look for G_d and you will find him too.Just depends on who you are searching for I guess.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I don't think anyone seeks evil. They seek whatever it is they think they want, without understanding (or perhaps caring) about its impact on others or what it may hold for themselves in the longer term.

Suicide bombers think that they are doing gods work by killing evil people and removing them from the world. They do not think that they themselves might be tainted.

Besides, 'evil', when you ask most people, turns out to be merely something that they themselves do not like or approve of, or that they have been taught they are not supposed to like or approve of.

4. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. - Philippians 4:8

It's late so this is all I can come up with LOL! I think we are supposed to seek the good and the pure in the world around us and with God.

Kat

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    :shrug: One definition of evil I've encountered is one who imposes his or her will by force or threat rather than by negotiation and compromise. That particular definition seems to have pretty widespread validity, though doesn't cover everything.

6. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

I love the above passage (post #4) and really believe in it. I certainly agree with not seeking out evil but I tend to be the "be as sly as a fox and innocent as a dove" or "know your enemy" type. Another passage I like but is hard for me to follow being in this world we live in today is "in malice be as babes".

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I agree with Dennis. I look for good in people and don't assume that anyone has malice in his heart. Once a person shows me their true colors, then I leave them alone if they are not good people.

8. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I am not exactly sure what is being said when one says 'seeking evil'.

It is very wise, however, to think about things and to be able to recognize evil.

You don't have to look for evil, it finds you and it can be the most seductive, beautiful, satisfying, and easy thing.

9. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

I'm for Philippians 4:8 myself. I believe there is hope for everyone.
    I do know some people who spend a lot of time thinking about evil, I say you are what you think. Let God in and overcome evil! If you feel like your surrounded by evil then spend more time in the Word.

10. siouxsie

siouxsie Well-Known Member

Seeking evil = paranoia.

Paranoid people need to know who/what is out to get them, so they seek to define it and label it.

Then when they feel safe they convince themselves that harmless things are evil and invent reasons to label those. Like toys.

Spiritual tweakers.

11. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I agree with Trixie, you have to be able to recognize evil because it is indeed seductive on many levels. To not recognize it is to fall prey to it. I think a lot of these television programs like CSI and all the rest of the really gratuitously violent, graphic programs that fixate on murder, rape, drugs, etc. are very very bad to watch. I think they promote a lot of evil. There are a lot of people out there who get strange ideas from such 'entertainment'. If nothing else, it certainly is not mentally or emotionally healthy to watch.

I don't understand how something that horrifies us on the 6 o'clock news can be our 'entertainment' at 7.

I think evil can and will seek out innocents. You have to be able to recognize evil. But we also have to see all of God's beauty and goodness in others as well.

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

"and lead me not into temptation........." (I can find it easily enough myself..............)

13. Faustus

Faustus Übernerd

I think it's a lot easier for people to point to people/things removed from themselves and say, "Oh, that's evil!" than it is to turn that criticism inward and really root out their own negative characteristics. I include myself in that, by the way. It's like the saying about how what we dislike most about others is often what we are, ourselves.

14. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people want to understand it, and how man could be so evil.... but this way leads to depression or corruption so I try to avoid it except when I feel I have the resources, through comprehension, to overcome some form of evil.

15. Faustus

Faustus Übernerd

Yeah, but if we're talking about true, unadulterated evil, I'm really doubtful that, say, Hitler was the way he was because he played with Cabbage Patch dolls or watched too much TV as a kid (well, listened to too much radio, I guess, allowing for generational differences). Pol Pot probably didn't become a murderous dictator because of a Bratz doll or playing with He-Man action figures. To try and seriously debate whether things like toys are "evil," to my mind, just takes away from stuff that really does fall under that heading. Genocide is evil. Rape is evil. Mass murder is evil. Bratz? Distasteful, obnoxious and inappropriate, but not evil.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I have the opposite belief Rosegarden, I think good and evil come from within, not from some outside seduction. Of course, I've heard of cases where people have attempted to use the excuse that they were influenced and seduced by some image, but I see that as attempting to get away with having gotten caught at being evil not a reason for evil.

After all, you apparently have watched such t.v. shows as CSI, and you have not been motivated to go out and kill, and rape, and whatever have you?
    If you could would you please explain to me this thing you refer to as evil that goes out seeking out innocents? What is that?

Like Dennis, I tend to accept people as good and kind and caring until they prove themselves otherwise.

I believe t.v. shows such as CSI are educational as well as entertaining. As long as you do not believe that every police department can actually afford all the personnel and technology seen on such shows.

Hugs
    marlene

17. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Perhaps the core issue is what is evil and what is good because it really comes down to what we believe both to be as to how we interact with them.

18. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I too try to seek the good in people. If they're evil, well, they aren't in my life!

I believe that everyone has choices. When evil shows it's presence, we have to choice to be seduced by it or to walk away. It's our choice.

19. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Evil come from within AND from without. We - while created "in the image of God" - fell, and therefore our natural inclination is toward "evil"... this is commonly referred to as the 'pull of the flesh'. We are also influenced by demons and angels, though I take the view that this happens FAR less often than our own selfish natures taking over. (That is it is a personal battle against ourselves, our 'flesh' that we wage, more than a battle in some 'spirit realm').

R

20. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Thats all well and good, but I want to know why I cant find that misplaced wrench I am looking for until after I dont need it anymore?????? And where do all those socks disappear to?